• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Cutting The Bar On Front Subframe

pugpete1108

ive still got clearance issues with my exhaust manifold (gti6 one) i think its catching on the bar that runs across the subframe at the rear.

basically i want to cut and weld it so it does not foul the downpipe something like this:

post-7077-0-91748000-1349378007_thumb.png

excuse the crude drawing but i was going to weld bars as in the right pic and then cut the v out to leave a nice gap for the downpipe.

how much rigitity would iloose doing this? and more importantly is it safe to do?

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

why not mod the downpipe so it fits properly?

doing it as you have drawn will render it useless, it works in tension+compression, I have seen them moved forwards which is the ideal way to do it, after just modding the downpipe to fit properly of course.

are you sure you havent got an extended lower fork and a tilted engine?

pugpete1108

i have no extended fork or tilted engine and the manifold is angled (which tbh on this shell i didnt need, this is what is giving me the headache)

the downpipe is welded to the manifold like the 4-2-1 style one to a flexi under the car and a sleeve fitment to the centre pipe (as in my project thread) and i thought this would be enough. i have loads of room on the body its just under acceleration it knocks and im pretty sure its here.

maybe moving forward would be the best option then as i only really need 10mm or so extra clearance as when sitting i can just get a fingertip in between the downpipe and the bar.

post-7077-0-72829800-1349378447_thumb.png

i have a bmm lower mount too so there aint much movement, its just touching and vibrating under heavy acceleration.

Edited by pugpete1108

james_pug

Just move it forwards abit, I've done it on my v6. It's simple enough to do with the subframe on the car.

Henry Yorke

Or cut it out and put on an OMP lower strutbrace as I think it uses these pick up points anyway (* not 100% sure)

Miles

The bar is pretty much useless, Better off cutting it off and sticking a proper X brace on the back

Henry Yorke

If you X brace it, you will get your clearance and also increased strength :)

harryskid

The bar is pretty much useless, Better off cutting it off and sticking a proper X brace on the back

If you remember Miles mines cut off and you pointed it out to me, i still haven't sorted it and i've done 4 rallys since! :lol:

welshpug

Where does the brace bolt to?

Nowhere near that, front wishbone bolts.

Rippthrough

Either or, sorted:

post-6573-0-23226900-1349449602_thumb.png

Tom Fenton

What Phil says, except he could be bothered to do the paint drawings and I couldn't!

pugpete1108

I'm liking the look of those ideas there.

I've only got square bar though. That'll do surely.

welshpug

Yup, thatll do fine

pug_ham
Or cut it out and put on an OMP lower strutbrace as I think it uses these pick up points anyway (* not 100% sure)

Where does the brace bolt to?

The lower strut brace uses the front wishbone forward mount bolts, there is nowhere else it'll fit.

IMGP0416.jpg

(credit ot rippthrough for pic of one fitted to a 306 but uses same pick ups as 205)

g