• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamibungers

Leather Steering Wheel Retrim - Potential Group Buy?

miamibungers

Hi all, like most my steering wheel is nice & shiny after 20 years of use. I'm shortly going to have my BMW's steering wheel retrimmed & will be taking along my 205 wheel for the same treatment. I was thinking of maybe having the PTS colours as the stitching, much in the same way as I will be having the BMW's stitching done in the 'M' colours. Here are some examples of his work & one of them is what I'm having done, imagine with PTS colours on a GTI wheel:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamizerski/E46M#

What do people think of this idea and would anybody else be up for it? The guy also does perforated leather, coloured leather, alcantara, center band, can pad them out so they're thicker - pretty much anything. The quality of the work is exemplary.

• Like 1

pugpete1108

looks very nice, depending on price i may be interested.

Tesstuff

Any idea of the pricing for the 205 wheel? Might it be cheaper to locate a mint original item?

harryskid

I might be as well depending on price!

miamibungers

I don't think you'll find anything 'minter' than a freshly clad wheel, what sort of price does a good condition second hand one go for, ~£30?

I'll have a rough price once I show him the wheel, which wont be until next week. I'll get a number of quotes based on any combinations of options I can dream up! It'll obviously depend on what options you choose but for reference & I cant see it being the same price given the size difference, the BMW wheel is £105 not including p+p, which is £9.99 next day recorded.

I've got a few ideas that I'll get quotes on:

Full black/grey leather wheel with PTS coloured stitching

Full perforated black/grey leather with red top centre band & PTS stitching

Full black/grey alcantara with red top centre band & various stitching

Black/grey leather with body colour bottom section (colours would have to be right I suppose?)

Full black/grey/perforated with body colour stitching - again depending on relative colour match

Any more appreciated!

Edited by miamibungers

grandos

I would be interested in a black / grey alcantara with red top stripe and red stitching if you can get an estimate, possibly with some extra padding!

welshpug

What about bog standard repro?

miamibungers

What about bog standard repro?

:blush: I completely forgot about boggo! Waiting to hear back if this is something he'd be interested in.

d7ve_b

Very interested in the outcome of this :)

S@m

Interested here aswell - depending on price. :)

Jamie P

Also interested

Andy_C

Same here. I can stick the P1.5 one on temporarily as it's my P2 wheel which would want doing.

chipstick

Paul, don't forget to ask the chap to knock you up a new leather jack satchel :)

base-1

Another potential here assuming I keep the car

j0s5

I would also be interested in a full black / grey alcantara with 'yellow' top stripe and 'yellow' stitching, with a hint of extra padding!

PH 1 steering wheel btw.

miamibungers

Cheeky sod Dan ;-) Good idea though...!

I've had a reply which isn't great "the price for normal re-trim 105GBP in the best quality Hans Reinke grainy leather."

Hopefully I'll be able to get the price down with a bit of negotiating and the potential interest. Ill keep you informed...

(null)

Edited by miamibungers

SurGie

Bit pricey.

I went to a sadle shop and did mine for 30 squid, they used the old one as a templet. Although they know the gf well as she bought loads of equestion equipment.

miamibungers

Agree it's pricey, especially as its a small wheel, I'm hoping he'll come down once I get to see him & have chance to talk about potential quantities, obviously a one off will be more expensive. I've found that most upholsterers don't like doing steering wheels as its a bit of an art, did the saddle shop do a good job?

SurGie

It wasnt perfect but was good enough for me, well better than the sticky rubbed down leather surface. I like how you can get certain colours etc.

j0s5

If the material \ color combination I quoted is available, I would still be interested for 105GBP + shipping. But of course if you can negotiate the price down even more :)