• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arwel

Tarmac Rally Springs

arwel

Hi people.. I need some advice on fron springs for my rally car. At the moment it has gravel spec 160lb springs up front on Bilstein B6 struts. Rear is a standard 1.9 gti beam with Bilstein B6 struts and solid mounts. Im doing more tarmac single venue type events rather than road rallying and want to stiffen the front of the car a bit. At the moment all I can find is 180lb springs.. would these be upto the job or would I need something a bit stiffer? Pic is attached of the kind of body roll Im getting. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-14754-0-94307100-1348509471_thumb.jpg

Chris H

One of my 205's had the same set up as your for years and i found it easy to drive and very forgiving on the bumpy and loose stages. I also found it rolled a but too much on the smooth tarmac stages. (it was good enough to win class awards on 5 rallys though)

However, i've recentrly been given a pair of group a bilstein, adjustable platform, strut casings. I fitted the inserts out of the b6's into these and have a choice of 185 and 225 lb/in springs.

I've only done one tarmac and loose test day but with the 225's on its a very different car. Much better in the fast stuff but definitely doesn't have as good traction on the loose as the softer springs had. Maybe the 185 would be a good comprimise but havent got round to trying them yet.

It really depends on the events your likely to do. I'd imagine that the 180 springs would be a good upgrade if you want a bumpy tarmac and mixed surface set up. If your only going to do smooth and fast tarmac events then you may want to go stiffer.

welshpug

I'd look at the back before the front tbh, have driven a car on 200's and standard rear and it was, to put it mildly, orrible!

Rolling on 185 and 21mm in my road car, very nicely balanced.

arwel

Thanks for the replies guys. Mostly doing single venues this year, each event differs in terms of surface really, some are smoother than others etc.. so maybe teh 180l/b could be a shout and keep the 160l/b if fancied a shot down the lanes at some point.

The rear is also another thing that I wouldnt mind playing with as the car can be a bit snappy at times.. so that set up you have there Welshpug could be a good shout to try.

Cheers

Arwel