• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McCann

Braking System Upgrade?

McCann

hi,

i have a 205 gti rally car and i want to upgrade the braking system.

im currently running standard master cylinder and standard bendix calipers with mintex 1144 pads and grooved discs, and standard drums at the rear.

i was looking some information on upgrades ie using master cylinders and calipers out of other peugeots and peoples experiences with them and how i could convert the rear to discs.

i am on a low budget so th likes of AP or hi spec calipers etc is unfortunately out of my budget

cheers

welshpug

what power are you running, and what shortcomings are you experiencing? good suspension and tyres etc?

a friend of mine just runs EBC yellows and race fluid and a bias valve in an otherwise 100% stock 1.6 braking system, Bilstein dampers and AO48's, and they pull up damn hard :D

matty_gti

406 MC, front and rear gti6 calipers with mintex pads does the trick.

oonip

I think before giving any advice it's important to establish what you are hoping to achieve by upgrading the brakes? i.e. what problems are you having?

Are you struggling for stopping power or pedal feel?

McCann

I am running roughly 180 brake. The pedal feel is ok but the brakes just don't have the stopping power I need. I'm running bilstein suspension all round with yoko a006t tyres

matt.f

Better pads will make a lot of difference,1155/66 or a lot of people rave about F4r by mintex.

Edited by matt.f
  • Like 1

matt.f

Not many options for bigger calipers on a 1.6 apart from willwoods etc.

If you had 1.9 hubs and shafts you could fit gti-6 or 307 calipers like a lot of people on here have and a 406 master cylinder,never tried this set up but a lot of people on here seem to like it

oonip

I am running roughly 180 brake. The pedal feel is ok but the brakes just don't have the stopping power I need. I'm running bilstein suspension all round with yoko a006t tyres

If you can lock the wheels with a reasonable pedal force then you have enough stopping 'power', if you want to change how much force is required to lock the wheels then by all means d!ck with m/cyls, disc size, piston area etc. (see point 1 below).

Any brake upgrade is only an upgrade if it does one of the following:

1. Improve pedal feel giving the driver more confidence (this is a personal preference and a good 'feel' is subjective'). However having a stiffer system will result in more consistency.

2. Improve thermal performance. On track good brakes come into their own due to their ability to cope with heat and keep a consistent pedal without fade.

A good braking set-up is consistent however its being used.

Sorry to go on a bit but I hate to see people going so overkill on their brakes and forgetting you can only stop as quickly as your tyres will let you!

• Like 3

McCann

The car would never ever lock the wheels unless it was really wet and mucky with cold tyres. Is there any difference in 1.6 hubs and 1.9?

welshpug

yes, 1.6 are 10mm taller offset and the same splines as a base model, if you retain the 1.6 disc you can use a 1.9 caliper which are longer lasting.

If yours would only lock on very slippery surfaces there must be something very wrong there, I've left epic darkies with my standard brakes!

Cameron

Same, I could quite happily lock the front wheels with my standard brakes in the hot & dry.

Have you bled your brakes recently or replaced the fluid? If so, that's a good starting point. It might also be a good idea to check the condition of all your solid lines and flexi hoses.

brumster

I'll be flogging some AP 285mm's soon; they're due a rebuild (seals) really, and the discs haven't got much left in them, but...