• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Rear Lights Not Fitting

TaffyTim

Ive just fitted a 2nd hand set of rear lenses as i failed an mot on my break lights not being red enough on the smoked lenses fitted to the car (its not as bad as it sounds :P ).

The driver side lens doesnt quite touch the rubber seal:

IMAG1005.jpg

Will this get throgh an MOT or do i have a headache on my hands?

The one on the other side fitted perfectly so ive got the right lenses.

chipstick

Take the light unit out and give it a good squeeze together. I've had lights that don't connect properly to the seal without persuasion, and the screw threads are very soft so see if it's getting a good bite.

Slo

The light housing where the bulbs sit actually fits inside the rubber like a glove over your hand. Take it back out and inspect it, it has mounts that go completely inside the seal, you can see the seal is distorted on your picture.

GLPoomobile

There's a lip on the seal at the bottom that can be a bit of an arse. In my experience the lip tends to want to go upwards in to the lens as you slide it back on, which then means you cant get the lens to sit flush. The lip needs to go outside/under the lens.

TaffyTim
the screw threads are very soft so see if it's getting a good bite.

So far the threads are holding up, the old screws were rotten though, luckily the new ones came with good screws.

The light housing where the bulbs sit actually fits inside the rubber like a glove over your hand. Take it back out and inspect it, it has mounts that go completely inside the seal, you can see the seal is distorted on your picture.

Should the seal be making contact with the vehicle? The unit on the other side fits perfectly but he seals are away from the car, i cant see that being a problem though.

There's a lip on the seal at the bottom that can be a bit of an arse. In my experience the lip tends to want to go upwards in to the lens as you slide it back on, which then means you cant get the lens to sit flush. The lip needs to go outside/under the lens.

I did play with this and i thought i had it in right, i'll have another go later. Its almost as if the lenses have been distorted slightly, or maybe its the rubbers that are distorted, the old lens was fine though.

TaffyTim

I still havent got these to fit. The old ones go back on and fit as they should.

Ive called around asking for new light clusters and gsf, ecp, camberly and Peugeot all said they dont do these parts any more.

Is it possible just to buy the seals?

could it be that the lenses are just distorted? Its hard to tell without offering them up to another unit??

cRaig

I bought a pair of new Valeo lights from carparts4less for around 30 quid each. So much brighter than the old tired light, and for 30quid for genuine valeo parts I couldnt complain!

Also discount code SAVE 5 for an extra 5% off if you spend more than 30 quid, and free delivery.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Peugeot_205_1.9_1991/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/rear-light/?478735090&1&53e85ae6af0ec9b576ca95d097e82647878bb274&000269

TaffyTim

I bought a pair of new Valeo lights from carparts4less for around 30 quid each. So much brighter than the old tired light, and for 30quid for genuine valeo parts I couldnt complain!

Also discount code SAVE 5 for an extra 5% off if you spend more than 30 quid, and free delivery.

http://www.carparts4...878bb274

Ah thats great, im starting to like that site.

From what you say this is the whole unit but the pic makes it look like just the lens?

Do they deliver the lense, seal and light cluster?

Thanks for that

cRaig

Its a complete lens, seal and cluster. The only thing you need is the bulbs to put in it :) For 30 quid I was impressed. I think Tom Fenton bought some but they arrived cracked, and their customer service was a bit crap. Ive had dealings with the customer service, and it was a bit hit and miss- but for a 'value' online company I guess its no surprise!

Craig

TaffyTim

ok sweet, i'll get some ordered up.

It passed today even with the gap, but the electrics are iffy enough without being open to the elements :ph34r: