• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ben205turbo

Brake Fluid

ben205turbo

Hi this may be silly but my brakes have gone rubbish the peddle goes all the way to the floor before anything happens. pads seem good. fluid bit low but not sure how high it should be theres no indicator? also would it matter that i have gti6 front brakes?? thanks

Liquid_106

'gone rubbish' - over a period of time or after you've changed something?

Are you still running the standard master cylinder? Different opinions on whether you need to upgrade the MC when using GTi6 brakes as they have larger pistons, so require greater peddle travel to work - some change, some don't feel the need to.

Anthony

If there has been a sudden and noticeable deterioration of the brakes, STOP USING THE CAR IMMEDIATELY and find out why.

A recent drop in fluid level and a pedal that going to the floor would suggest that there's a leak somewhere.

ben205turbo

just over time and think it standard master cylinder,

ben205turbo

ive never checked the fluid before so dont know if been low for a while or all leaked should i fill it and see if it escapes? if so not sure how how to fill

Miles

Could be allot of things, I always tend to recommend a complete brake overhaul with these car's now as age has crept in and can cause allot of issues

Matt205

Sounds like you need to have the system checked. You could have leak on a slave cylinder, union or pipe. As the system is split it is possible for the pedal to hit the floor as the fluid leaks out, but some breaking remains from the other side of then split system. In short, don't risk it - get it checked immediately.

bondo

Mate if you don't know how to top up the brake fluid, then get someone to look at the braking system. Personally I think you may need a new master cylinder -easy and cheap to replace but get it bench bled first.

and don't drive it until it is sorted - you could end up with no brakes at all in very short order and explaining an accident in an unroadworthy car could get tricky and VERY expensive as if the car is unroadworthy your insurance will be invalid.