• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

13" Wheels With Rear Disc Brake Setup

tdr_1976

Just a quick question to ask if I could fit 13" steels over 205 GTi rear calipers?

Reason I ask is that I might upgrade the rear axle on my XS to a disk brake setup, because the drum brakes aren't up to much on the track, but I'd like to keep the 13" wheels on the car, otherwise I lose out on acceleration.

Cheers in advance for any help!

:)

Baz

Yes, a few topics on this!

welshpug

make the drums work, maybe fit gti drums, 40mm wide shoes rather than 30mm, but you shouldn't have any issues tbh.

13"s do fit over discs, but you need to ditch the dust shields.

tdr_1976

I've just used the search for the third time and this was the response I got.... :)

Image2-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply Mei,

I was talking to a few of the guys at the track evening last week, and they were saying that the drums would cause the brakes to fade a lot quicker than disks would?

So the best bet is to upgrade to the GTi wider brake drums then, that'd be a cheaper and easier alternative than trying to find a good rear axle with disk brakes on.

Cheers!

P.S - I'm using DOT 5.1 brake fluid, and Mintex 1144 brake pads on the front. I'll be moving on to using DS2500 pads next year.

Edited by tdr_1976

welshpug

drop the S...

a friend rallies a 1.6 gti and all he has is yellows on the front and standard rear shoes with race fluid, never has any issues.

if you want to go to a gti setup you'll need the brake compensator/s (or bias valve) and backplates as well.

Baz

Don't use the search function, it's crap. Google.

• Like 1

tdr_1976

drop the S...

a friend rallies a 1.6 gti and all he has is yellows on the front and standard rear shoes with race fluid, never has any issues.

if you want to go to a gti setup you'll need the brake compensator/s (or bias valve) and backplates as well.

Cheers for the information.

I'll stick to the brake drums I think, I fitted a new set of ferodo shoes, both handbrake cables and replaced both wheel cylinders with brand new items at the beginning of the year.

Is there any specific make of brake fluid that works better than others?

pug_ham

Check what drums you have fitted now, An XS should have 40mm wide rear shoes afaik.

g