• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Replacing Arb Droplinks

TaffyTim

I've read this morning that when replacing arb droplinks motaquip droplinks are the ones to go for, so before I get a set from GSF I'll see if they have motaquip, otherwise I'll order from http://partsforallcars.com/spares/partscat_v1.php

When replacing these do I need both wheels off the ground at the same time or one wheel at a time?

welshpug

Raise both sides, no tension in the arb then.

Chop the nuts off with a thin cutting disc, grease up threads on new ones and fit, job done :)

Tom Fenton

Parts for all cars is the web name for Allan Kay Components, they are nearby to me and I use them quite a lot, they may not have drop links in stock today as I bought a pair yesterday! But usually restock pretty quick, and may have more than 1 pair in stock anyhow.

TaffyTim
Parts for all cars is the web name for Allan Kay Components, they are nearby to me and I use them quite a lot, they may not have drop links in stock today as I bought a pair yesterday! But usually restock pretty quick, and may have more than 1 pair in stock anyhow.
Thanks for pointing that out!! Do you need them? If not fancy sending them down south Ive got an MOT to get through!

ps

I just ordered off the site and it didnt say they were out of stock so all should be good. cheap too, under a tenner befoer vat. bargain compared to main dealer.

Edited by TaffyTim

Tom Fenton

Ring the number on the website, speak to Scott if possible, if he cannot help then let me know.

TaffyTim
Raise both sides, no tension in the arb then. Chop the nuts off with a thin cutting disc, grease up threads on new ones and fit, job done :)
Raise both sides, no tension in the arb then. Chop the nuts off with a thin cutting disc, grease up threads on new ones and fit, job done :)

Will they need chopping off? I dont have a disc cutter?

Tom Fenton

If they have been on there a number of years they can be a cow bag to get off as the exposed threads get all corroded and stiff. Give them a good wire brush first and a spray of duck oil before you try and undo the nuts. However usually it is much easier and faster to chop them off if they will not easily undo. You could probably do it with a hacksaw if you haven't got an angle grinder.

welshpug

don't need a disc cutter,

stihl-ts420-350mm-petrol-disc-cutter-cut-off-saw-4253-p.jpg

just a 4.5" grinder :lol:

AEGOWS6115.JPG

As Tom said, not absolutely necessary, but taking this approach is usually much easier and quicker than faffing with seized corroded threads which you inevitably find on droplinks, a hacksaw or a nut splitter works.

another approach I have used in the past is to tighten the nuts up with a breaker bar and snap them off!

• Like 1

chipstick

For removal. 15mm spanner IIRC or whatever size fits behind the boot, and then have a heave on the nut. If it shears, all the better.

TaffyTim

ok, ta muchly I'll have a play on Sunday

TaffyTim

My 20mm+ spanners are half buried in the garden with guide string on them to help with me sort out my lawn so i used mole grips, I think it would have been a 20 mm to hold it.

The first one sheered off after 5 mins of fighting with it and the 2nd took a bit of bruit force but gave up its nut in the end.

Just waiting for the postman to bring the new units and I'll be another step closer to getting my ticket for this year :D

Does anyone know the torque setting for putting the rods back on?

Edited by TaffyTim

Tom Fenton

Personally I do not torque these, just do them tight by hand. The threads are sometimes not made out of the finest stuff, so it can be possible to strip the threads quite easily.

• Like 1

TaffyTim

Personally I do not torque these, just do them tight by hand. The threads are sometimes not made out of the finest stuff, so it can be possible to strip the threads quite easily.

Ok Ill bear this in mind.

The new ones have just arrived. One of the rods has much stiffer ball joints than the other one but the weaker one is still 2 to 3 time stiffer than the ones that have come off the car, so I'm hoping its good enough.