• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Hubcentric Spacers - Machine Them?

Rich_p

I've been looking for a set of HUB adaptors to let me run ford wheels but they appear to be rare 2nd hand.

It got me thinking, as long as there is enough material to remove then machining down the centre bore size on some normal pug hubcentric spacers shouldn't be an issue should it?

That's essentially what the proper adaptors are.

Tom Fenton

No reason why not, however probably only worth doing if you have access to a lathe to do it yourself, as otherwise you are going to have to pay someone to clock them up in a machine, and unless you are careful will spend more paying for them to be machined than it would cost to just go and buy the right ones in the first place.

allanallen

For my cosworth fit compomotives I used ford hubcentric spacers and bored the back end out to fit the 205. Easy job in my opinion on a lathe, 30 minutes saw mine done including boring some soft jaws out to suit.

MiniGibbo

No reason why not, however probably only worth doing if you have access to a lathe to do it yourself, as otherwise you are going to have to pay someone to clock them up in a machine, and unless you are careful will spend more paying for them to be machined than it would cost to just go and buy the right ones in the first place.

This.

Rich_p

Thanks chaps. I hadn't thought of machining the back of ford adaptors. That's possibly a better optionas there's more meat on the back.

I'll have a word with the lads in the machine shop downstairs and see if any of them feel like being helpful!

Just need to work out if I can use my flat seated pug wheels bolts on some old ford fit Alleycat wheels now

EdCherry

Alley Cats almost always taper fit, which is good news since you then don't need hubcentric spacers anymore ;)

johnnyboy666

which is good news since you then don't need hubcentric spacers anymore ;)

I disagree with that! Somebody gave me that advice once, and I ended up with a lot of wheel wobble and general unpleasantness

EdCherry

Well you really shouldn't need them.

johnnyboy666

thats what I thought, I guess they just help make sure the wheel is perfectly centred before the bolts are tightened, and possibly take a bit of strain off the bolts. I cant find a photo of the spacers I was using but I threw them out because the bolt holes became very ovalled!