• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonb_5

Removing Front Struts

jonb_5

Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice.

I found a topic which suggested the springs do not need to be compressed on the 205 to allow me to get the front struts out but no matter which way I pull they don't want to.

They are all loose and will move up and down in the pinch clamp in the top arm etc but just not go up enough to allow me to pull them out?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

Tom Fenton

Shove the hub down as hard as you can to seperate the two parts, then pull the strut towards you, as the two components move through their arcs of movement there becomes enough space to pull the strut clear. Hard to explain but go and have a try and you will see what I mean.

jonb_5

OK, done that and came out very easy, wasn't too sure about the brute force approach. Thank You!!

Is this the same with the passenger side as I have also read the drive shaft can pop out?

Thanks

Jon

Simes

Yes it's the same and yes the driveshaft can pop out. It's not a major issue as it pops back in again. However gearbox oil stinks so put a tray under the diff to collect it.

Anthony

Just don't pull or let the hub flop outwards and the driveshaft will stay put.

Worth doing for the drivers side too, as whilst the shaft won't pull out from the gearbox, you can pull the inner CV apart and if you're unlucky it'll fall apart and scatter its needles everywhere inside the boot. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt...

jonb_5

Morning,

All swapped over last night, with no spills etc which is good.

Just need to sort the height now.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon

kee

just been playing this game myself, off to get some gearbox oil tomorrow :(