• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Refurbishing/replacing Suspension

Bovien

I'm slowly building a newly purchased gti back to OEM spec and also replacing worn parts.

Now, I've never driven any other 205 gti's and was a bit suprised that it leans quite a bit in the suspension when weaving a bit left/right. Would it do that, with a "fresh" suspension?

What you you suggest to replace, if we assume that nothing has been replaced in a long while? I'm only talking OEM parts, unless anyone has any alternatives of better quality with the same specs and ability as OEM.

I'm thinking dampers all round and front springs. How about bushes? Are they easily replaceable or do you need full suspension arms replaments?

Also, I've heard that it us a good upgrade to swap the lower suspension arms up front with 306 versions as they are slightly longer giving a slight negative camber resulting in better turn in. I'm not sure if this is reccomendable if I want the qualities that made the 205 gti a classic.

I've searched a bit and havent found any good threads about restoring a gti to its former OEM glory. So if anyone has seen something like, please chime in.

Exterior is almost done and I'm swaping in a gti engine soon (came with a XU9J2 engine, that really doesn't fit the lively mood of the gti)

Any input is much appreciated!

Tom Fenton

I have done overhauls on cars for a few people now, who wanted like you to return the car to OE spec or very close to OE spec. The following is a suggested list;

Front,

Bilstein B4 replacement dampers

Motaquip suspension arms (come with new bushes to OE spec and new balljoint)

Either standard or Eibach lowered front springs

Check condition and replace if needed; steering rack, track rods, track rod ends, anti roll bar drop links, strut top mount bearings and rubbers

Rear,

Check and replace if needed rear beam mountings

Fit new rear dampers, Peugeot OE part no 5206TE

Do all this and the thing will be excellent, it is the dampers that provide the biggest difference to be honest over tired 20 yr old standard items.

Wishbones wise, it is 309 wishbones you mean, not 306 (which don't fit). However a good refresh on the suggested parts above will give a good car to drive.

Regarding roll, you have to remember that the 205 GTI hails from the 1980's, all more modern cars these days generally are much harder and much stiffer than they were then. The 205 may roll, but this compliance in the suspension is one of the reasons it works so well.
  • Like 1

d7ve_b

I started like this, but eventually added some after-market parts to the list, I ended up with:

Front

Springs - Eibach E7001-001 (-30mm'ish)

Dampers - Bilstien B4 (slight upgrade on OE)

Top Mount Rubbers - BBM Fast Road

Top Mount Bearing - New OE

Droplinks - New OE

TRE's - New OE

Wishbones - New OE inner bushes

ARB - existing standard item

Upper strut brace

Rear

Rebuilt Beam - using 306GTi6 arms, OE sandwich mounts, solid front mounts

Dampers - New 306 GTi-6 items

ARB - Shortened GTi6 item (24mm)

It looks like this and IMO it handles fantastically well now and doesn't roll at all!

flat%20rear%20corner.jpg

P.s. Tom helped me with lots of the above work so he does know what he's on about ;)

Bovien

Thanks a bunch guys! Thats exactly what I was looking for!

I'll be looking more into this soon :D

Andrew C

Agree with Tom above re handling. I have recently replaced front and rear suspension components with new or near new genuine Peugeot items. I also found some secondhand front struts, springs and rear shockers which had done less than 10K so almost brand new. The car is a delight to drive on all surfaces, fast or slow, rough or smooth, with body roll and all it's other characteristics. The engineers really knew what they were doing in my opinion.