• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

14" Tyre Advise

Strictly_Derv

I'm on the hunt for some new tyres on the 205, the nearly bald budgets are utter wank and having over 170bhp they tend to spin up a fair bit.

It's currently running 185 55 14 which scrape at the back due to the banded steels so I'd like to change to 175 60 14 to help clear the arches. I could go lower profile but don't want to loose out on gearing as they are already small enough.

I'm currently pretty keen on getting a set of Yoko A drives as a mate had some on his 106 XSI and seemed to grip pretty well, last for ages and are pretty cheap.

I'm looking to spend no more that £60 a corner really.

Any help would be great

pug_ham

Falken 912's, been running them on my 306 for last few sets & can't fault them.

Less power than you have but I rate them, so does Miles afaik.

g

Strictly_Derv

Thanks, after a quick search I can get some of those Falkens for £41 each on camskill. So that's £175 delivered for 4 which seems fair.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b747s397p12872/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE912_Ziex_Falken_ZE_912_-_175_60_R14_79H_TL_1

I've always wandered is it cheaper to just get them at garages as it saves alot of hassle buying online, waiting for the delivery, then going to the garage then paying another £20-£40 getting them fitted.

welshpug

Depends how much you pay, free if you do it yourself, just balancing if required.

johnnyboy666

fitting tyres yourself is a bit tricky the first few times though, and getting the old tyre off is a PITA!

Edited by johnnyboy666

Obey_R

Another vote for the 912's, been running then since last Feb (on and off) with 1600 and GTi6 and they cope well.

Strictly_Derv

I won't be fitting them myself for the sake of a 10er which includes balancing.

I'm swaying towards 912's now.

Whats the sidewalls like? One thing I can't stand on some tyres on this profile is soft sidewalls as it's not very encouraging through corners.

pug_ham

Sidewalls seem fine to me, not over stiff, with 55 profile on the 306 I haven't suffered from edge feathering or excessive wear due to them flexing & rolling through the corners.

g

88lp

I'm using A-Drives on 14's at the moment. They're a very basic tyre but have surprisingly good grip and aren't noisy like some other cheap tyres. Can't go wrong for the price really.

tdr_1976

Another vote for the Falkens. I've used 912's on the road, road rallies, auto tests and track days, good tyres for the money!

nixonmi16

i would think twice about fitting 175 tyres unless you are running 5 1/2 j wheels. i know the vw boys stretch there tyres on rims but this does nothing for the handling tyres need the sidewalls to flex to allow the tread to stay in contact with road.

johnnyboy666

Sorry to butt in, but would people say the falken 912's are better than yokohama A 539's?

Im looking at 13's rather than 14's and the yoko's are £10 more each roughly. I had assumed that falkens were slightly more on the 'budget' side of things, but after reading this I might go for falkens over yoko's

nixonmi16

I just put a full set of falkens on mine they are as good as b/stone er30. Good feed back and controlable even when spining in wet

miamichris

I run Falkens on my Xs and they're a great tyre, definitely recommend them.

johnnyboy666

think I'll give them a go then, only need a pair for the front at the mo. I did contemplate a pair of r888s for £85 a corner, but they'd be useless most of the year, and i can get a pair of falkens for less than £90 :)

Strictly_Derv

i would think twice about fitting 175 tyres unless you are running 5 1/2 j wheels. i know the vw boys stretch there tyres on rims but this does nothing for the handling tyres need the sidewalls to flex to allow the tread to stay in contact with road.

My wheels are banded 14" steels I believe and are only about 6J wide.