• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Davro

Brake Bleeding Issues

Davro

Hi everyone,

I'm just tidying up my phase 2 1.9 GTi and am having a few issues bleeding the #@*king thing!!

I've fitted the following parts;

New standard master cylinder

New copper pipes front and rear

braded hoses to front

new discs all round

news pads all round

I've just started to try and bleed it all but for some reason I can't get any fluid through the drivers side front caliper and the passenger side rear caliper!! What am i missing??

Also when fitting my drivers side rear disc I can't seem to get the disc level with the pads in. It just wants to sit pissed. I've tried winding the piston back in whilst forcing the caliper out (see Haynes manual) but that doesn't seem to be doing much......

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated....

Cheers

Dave

Anthony

Try using a pressure bleeder. New MC's can be a pig to initially get fluid through sometimes using the conventional "pump the pedal" method, and sounds like you're only getting fluid through one half of the MC at the moment (assuming that it is plumbed in as per a standard 1.9 with diagonal split)

Miles

Old callipers? the nipples can block up

Davro

I thought of the old calipers issue but then took the nipple out completely and still no fluid.......

I'll grab hold of a mate that is a mechanic and see if he has a pressure bleeding system and give that a go......other than that I am stumped......might have to look at buying new calipers but don't really want to do that.

Cheers lads

Dave

Tom Fenton

Top the master cyl reservoir right to the top, then leave the front caliper bleed nipple on the troublesome circuit totally removed. Sometimes doing this will allow the fluid to gravity bleed through and displace the trapped air. Once you have got the fluid through it will bleed as normal by pumping the pedal.

HERMAN

I used a syringe and sucked it through from the caliper end to get it started.

If thats any help

Davro

I cracked the front drivers side pipe at the master cylinder and pumped the pedal and all I got was a bit of bubbling, but no flow of liquid. So I tried the rear passenger side pipe and got the same. I then tried the front passenger side pipe and got a nice flow of liquid.

As it is a brand new master cylinder I don't think that is at fault.

I thought of the compensator but would that affect the front brake as well as the rear??

One thing that crossed my mind was a dodgey servo but wasn't 100% as I can get the front passenger side and rear drivers side brakes to bleed perfectly......??

Miles

Is it a pattern one or OE master cylinder?

Davro

It's a patent part. I'll get the manufacturer when I get home.

Could it be the servo being knackered?

welshpug

servo wont affect this at all, it merely assists you in pushing the pedal down.

de Noir

cheers lads

some interesting thoughts here, I'll try asap as I can not get rid of spongy brake pedal

got new everything, except the calipers F+R

bled the system

still spongy :-(

welshpug

eh? are you in Cambridgeshire?