• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt205

Knacker Thread Ideas

Matt205

I'm converting to 306 gti-6 brakes, using 1.9 driveshafts and hubs. I bought the hubs ages ago and obviously didn't check them out as I've just discovered the thread for the clamp onto the strut has been damaged by the seller hammering the end of the thread, so there's no chance of getting a nut onto them.

What's the best option here. Could they be machined to re-thread them or am I best sourcing replacements?

dcc

eh? what thread?

if you mean the pinch bolt just hit it out and replace it.

welshpug

what dan said.

Tom Fenton

It is a clamp bolt, sometimes the bolt does seize in, I've had to press them put before now. If you cannot sort it post it over and I'll sort it for you.

marksorrento205

Like Tom said, you do get one every now and then that wont come out. The good old press works a treat :) A lot of gti6 ones seem to be like this too :(

chipstick

Drift, punch and a big hammer if the bolt is stuck.

If there's no bolt and it's just a bare hub you have - then as mentioned there is no thread in the clamp hole. It's merely a hole for a bolt to pass through with a nut to go on and then clamp around the strut when tightened.

Edit: but leaving the above anyway.

It sounds like you're trying to rescue and reuse the existing damaged pinch bolt threads. Just buy new as above.

Edited by chipstick

Matt205

Thanks for the comments. It all makes more sense now. It is the existing pinch bolt I'm referring to, but due to general grim I hadn't realised it could be removed - I had assumed it was cast into the hub. Idiot!

16v205

I've seen bent bolts before on used hubs from them being overtightened. If yours looks even slightly dubious saw the bolt in half through the slot of the hub first and you might find it'll tap out alot easier.

Rich