• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Loose Seat. Typical Issue?

Bovien

My drivers seat is a bit loose, rocking up/down on the front right corner. I can see a broken rod going between the seating rails below the seat. It looks to be a stabilizer.

Is the fix just to get someone to weld that, or is there a better fix? I mean, when I bought the car, it had other seats but they had the same issue...

welshpug

there's about 8 bolts that can also be loose, as well as cracked mountings under the carpet, you'll need to take the seat out and check all of it if you are unsure what the cause is :)

chipstick

There are some adjustable whatsits that you can raise to take a bit of the rocking away if it persists once you've fixed the obvious broken part.

My fixings etc were all tight but would rock slightly but managed to reduce it with a minor adjustment.

Bovien

Thanks!

I can see its not the railings them selves, as they are tightly mounted. The movement is in the connection between them and the seats and it moves the most on the side where the rod connecting the right rail to the left has broken.

I thought it might a common thing but it seems there can be more issues.

The "raising whatsits" look to be rivited nonadjustably togeather, so I'm not sure how you fixed that. I think I'll try the welding, which I hope can be done without taking the seat out but my welder will decide that. No need to set the car on fire.. :)

Anthony

I think Dan's talking about the rubber buffers that wind in and out to take up the slack, similar to those on the bonnet.

chipstick

I think Dan's talking about the rubber buffers that wind in and out to take up the slack, similar to those on the bonnet.

That's them. Buffer - that's the sort of word I was looking for.

Simes

Make sure the seat is still bolted to the frame (mine failed a mot due to a bolt falling out).

The bar going across allows you to move the seat backwards and forwards, it it snaps it makes things harder. Weld it or fit a bolt in to hold it in place (I've had one in 10 years now!)

Bovien

As far as I can see, the rubbers down there, are the ones that support the rails them selves, bolded to the floor? Is that the ones you mean? They are fine.

The problem is between the rails and the seat, that is where the flex is. I can't see any missing bolt, only the broken rod. That rod is not the one used to slide the seat. This one is further back and connects the two sides of the frame under the seat.

Rjuhar

The structure below the seat is quite poorly constructed in 205s and it's not uncommon that it breaks s some welding is needed and some reinforcement welcome. The support that is welded to the floor is made of a - what looks like - tin metal.