• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ScoobyJawa

Caster Looks To Be Out

ScoobyJawa

Looking at the front wheels from side on - the drivers side I can get 3-3.5 fingers between the wheel and the arch next to the door, but the passenger side is about 2 fingers.

Cars been driven up on a kerb on pass side a fair bit, is it likely its gradually just pushed out the caster or could it have bent an arm or something?

Ta :)

Edited by ScoobyJawa

johnnyboy666

castor isnt really adjustable with out changing top mounts so my vote is something is bent. how does it feel driving? is it pulling or anything?

could always be peugeot 'manufacturing tolerances'!

ScoobyJawa

Steering wheel is out of centre, I can't say it really "pulls" maybe a slight tendency to aim left which would tie with the nearside being further back slightly than the offside. I suppose without getting the wheels off and having a look I won't know, might just be that it needs full alignment sorting.....

welshpug

could be knackered bushes, bent wishbone, bent subframe, rarely would it be a bent hub or strut but not totally unknown.

ScoobyJawa

It might actually be the suspension. I have another 205 to compare against (albeit on 195 50 as opposed to the other on 185 55) and the nearside of the "damaged" one is close at the back and also top of the arches.

Eg:

the good one = just under 4 fingers between back and top of tyre to arch both offside and nearside.

damaged one = just under 4 fingers between back and top of tyre to arch offside, 2 fingers on nearside for both top and back.

Piccies (excuse the alloy condition lol):

Good one:

IMG_0551.jpg

Damaged one:

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

I'll get the wheel off to see whats what but haven't got chance now for a couple of weeks.

welshpug

I really wouldn't drive it tbh, you never know what damage there may be under there, it might be a missing bolt! not to mention the excessive wear that will undoubtedly happen from messed up geometry.

ScoobyJawa

No worries there, I only drove it home 20 miles from getting it, and will be fixed up before it moves again :)

Miles

Had this on a car a while ago, drove spot on when I owed it and my mate plus the current owner, Then went off to a garage to come back with the same thing,

I changed the Wishbone, Subframe which help to get back to around 99% but to adjust out fully needs to go on adjustable top mounts, No sign's of damage anywhere which is the odd bit, even the tyre was fine

Turbo7379

Check the back of the front subframe where it bolts onto the footwells. It's not unknown for these bolts to be loose or even missing! This will let the subframe to twist & bend where it bolts to the chassais leg giving the symptoms you describe.

ScoobyJawa

Thanks chaps I'll get it jacked up and have a good look aound :)