• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TehPrefect

Another Diagnose My Fault Thread. Sorry.

TehPrefect

Simply put, Im after recomendations for rear dampers and also any clues as to some vagueness and knocking at front end.

Got standard springs at the front with bilstein b4, poly bushes on arb and bottom arms. Rebuilt whole struts over xmas with new top rubber and bearings and dampers and original standard springs. New wheel bearings in hubs. Trouble is ive got slight vague feeling, under load mid corner feels like it lurches and sharpens up particularly if theres a bump. Worried may be ovalled hubs. Also knocks rather randomly on bumps. Sometimes fine even on severe potholes then other times little divets make it knock.

Also have b4's on the rear and to be honest, my old seized rear beam with some cheap gsf units felt more stable. Any recomendations for replacements for standard height as im under impression 306 gti6 ones are shorter and lower rear.

If anyones local to Bradford and good at diagnosing the issue Id welcome some input as the old man and I could just keep guessing.

Cheers in advance people.

Anthony

Certainly ovalled hubs or a loose pinch bolt would cause the issues you're seeing, so I'd start by looking at that.

306 GTi-6 dampers are fine on standard height cars and that's what I'd personally go for to match B4's on the front - indeed, Peugeot now list them as replacements for 1.9's. Much better than the B4 rears which as you say, are dreadful.

(there is apparently an updated B4 rear now that's much better and actually has some damping!)

TehPrefect

Hopefully just be pinch bolt. Had the damn things off to do bearings and as we had someone else press them into hubs just didnt think to check the state of them.

Bought the rear b4's recently but I must have got old stock or something. Tried setting off quick and all that happened was back squatted and spun wheels.

Anthony

I think that the old part number (BNE-1931) is still listed for some applications.

TehPrefect

While were one a roll then, vibration/grumbling through passenger floor. Constant as car is rolling with or without clutch engaged. Intermediate driveshaft bearing?

Miles

Are the ARB bush;s Pug or those horrid Powerflex things which don;t fit?

TehPrefect

Polysport yellows. Not powerflex. People have differing opinions on them. Im just trying them out to guage my own opinion.

Miles

OE ones are Polly and fit, Not seen one with the location bubble in them

kyepan

i had something similar turned out to be a rear wheel bearing, didn't show up with the usual tests, whole front end was new..bear that in mind as they are only 35 quid, plus pressing costs.

TehPrefect

Dont think its anything on the rear other than it being soft. Otherwise id see some pretty strange wear pattern on rear tyre shoulders. Ill be focusing attention on front end for now particularly pinch bolt area and hub and see how that pans out and see about some rear dampers in near future.

kyepan

Mine didn't show any weird wear either, or show any signs of play when strong armed about whilst in the air, but it did feel rubbery and inconsistent mid corner, especially if camber changed. When I pulled the drum off it did fall apart, but until then it wasn't noisy either. Odd one eh. New bearing and it was tight as a drum.

Oval led hubs tend to give you a sudden lurch, pinch bolts also give you a wooly feeling, best of luck.

Edited by kyepan

TehPrefect

Good feedback chaps. Will give me some starting points to look over at weekend. Ill let you know progress.

pug_ham

The lurching mid corner does sound like an ovalled hub to me as well.

I'm fairly local to Bradford if you get stuck.

g