• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Did Any Of The 205 Diesel's Have Power Steering?

Mad Professor

Good day all.

As per the topic title, can anyone tell me if any of the 205 diesel's had power steering fitted as stanard.

My wife is starting to lean to drive in a little 205 GRD, but she is finding the steering very heavy at low speeds, ie Parking, lol.

So I am now looking at ways to fit power steering for her.

I have lots of spares from all the 205's I have owned over the years and have eveything needed to convert a XU Petrol Engine to power steering.

But where one would fit the standard power steering is where the diesel fuel injection pump is.

So I am now thinking along the lines of fitting a electric power shower pump from say a 106/307/saxo etc.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Anthony

Yes PAS was an option on them.

The pump mounts on top of the gearbox and is driven off the end of the camshaft.

Mad Professor

Ah right, like the PAS on the Mi16's.

Anthony

Yes very similar, although as I understand it the offset is slightly different between the two.

welshpug

the difference probably due to the vacuum pump which is also camshaft driven on a diesel 205, though I've never seen a pas diesel 205. so not sure how its ;laid out

Anthony

I do wonder if you could use the brackets and pump from a later 1.9 D/TD (from a 306 etc) to locate the pump on the block, rather than the gearbox mounted setup. The basic block is fairly similar AFAIK and obviously the petrol engines all have the pump in that area, so I imagine that it should be doable with a little thought.

That said, the steering shouldn't be particularly heavy on a standard non-PAS setup - are you sure that the top mount bearings and the like are all in good order, as they're usually pretty tired by now if they're original and that makes the steering unusually heavy.

welshpug

yep, the brackets will fit just fine, I recently dropped an XUD9TE from a 306 dturbo into a 205 and swapped that back to the non pass bracket, but I'm not sure if there's space in a 205 for the pas pump down there.

Turbo7379

PAS was fitted to most turbodiesel 205's & your best option could be to find one in a breakers & strip all you need off it. You might find that the holes for mounting the pump on the gearbox are already there but not threaded.

If you already have a pas rack you could fit the electric pas pump of a saxo/106 but you have to fit a switch on the dash for it.

Mad Professor

Anthony: That is a good point about the top mount bearings, that is something I have totally overlooked.

I think I will fit new top mount bearings and top rubbers before installing power steering.

Where is the best place to get new top mount bearings and top rubbers, Main stealers GSF, ECP?

Edited by Mad Professor

pug_ham

PAS on the n/a diesels is driven off a double camshaft pulley, one to vacuum pump & one for the pas pump.

This is where the mis-alignment comes from afaik to the Mi bracket.

The STDT & later 306's have a block mounted set up as mentioned by Anthony, although the 306 TD has the camshaft end mounted pump, only early 306's had the same vacuum pump as the 205 afaik.

Non pas diesels had a choice of a single camshaft pulley for the vac pump or a direct camshaft mounted pump.

g

Anthony

My STDT had a gearbox mounted PAS pump, as have other late 205 TD's that I've seen?

Indeed, as far as I know, all the XUD7 engines had the PAS pump gearbox mounted - 405's certainly do.

I think they were only block mounted on the XUD9's.

SPGTi

Use a Corsa b or c column. Works really well in a 205

Steve

dave richards

i've just stripped my stdt as the shell was rotten, that had power steering, all the kit is now in my garage

Turbo7379
Where is the best place to get new top mount bearings and top rubbers

If you go into most motor factors they should be able to supply these. Sometimes you can get a kit which has both items included & it is usually cheaper to buy them that way.

pug_ham
My STDT had a gearbox mounted PAS pump, as have other late 205 TD's that I've seen?
So did mine actually, I got my wires crossed in my previous reply mentioning STDT's had a bock mounted PAS pump when I was remembering the alternator belt tensioner I got to by the sump, sorry. :blush:

g

Mad Professor

Thanks for eveyones input.

I was very lucky to find a 205 Turbo Diesel at my local scrap yard.

I have removed everything I think I will need.

The only problem I can see atm, is the diesel vac pump.

On my diesel and the turbo diesel they are both bolted to the end of the inlet manifold, but the turbo diesel one is ofset more.

On the turbo diesel there is a double grove pully on the end of the camshaft one for the vac pump, and one for the PAS pump.

Now without the offset inlet manifold, both the vac pump and pas pump line up with the same pully grove.

Would I get away with just using a larger belt and running both the vac pump and pas pump off the one pully grove, I will this be to much and slip the belt?

Mad Professor

Well it looks like I have been given my orders by the wife to fit all the power steering parts today.

I will be trying the one large belt, and not the two smaller belts.