• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

Torsion Bars, Arb's Or Both?

BlueBolt

You should have got in on the group buy!

Didn't have the money then, was getting the car taken down to Miles for the conversion and such... Would have been good to though!!

chipstick

Ran up until Aug I think. Could be worth checking though.

BlueBolt

Ran up until Aug I think. Could be worth checking though.

The group buy is still open but only until the end of July, so anyone interested in pricing and/or purchasing should contact me right away :).

Bugger!!!!

Miles

I'd get something good on the back personally and something not adjustable by a little screw top, Avo are the same along with others and they soon rust up solid

Turbo7379

The challenge spec gpn bilsteins are an excellent rear shock, used by many forum members & 100's of rally cars including my own. Non adjustable but bilstein put a lot of development into these & they got the damping spot on. Well priced at £150 a pair

BlueBolt

New shocks bought!!

Now to wait for Wednesday and payday to be finding a nice thicker arb...

Baz

What did you buy? Don't say they begin with a G...!!

If it's a road car, as Anthony says, compliance is under-rated. What it sounds like you're trying to build is a car that is only half-decent on smooth surfaces, may be ok for decent european roads but hateful on anything less, ie. UK roads. Save yourself a lot of arse ache & keep it simple and negate the need for fancy spring rate matching & geo set ups.

You have to go a very long way (read:££££) to beat a setup like bilstein sprintlines & eibachs IMO, going into 'coilover' territory is backwards unless you spend the big money, naturally.

• Like 3

BlueBolt

What did you buy? Don't say they begin with a G...!!

You have to go a very long way (read:££££) to beat a setup like bilstein sprintlines & eibachs IMO, going into 'coilover' territory is backwards unless you spend the big money, naturally.

ok, I won't then... (in answer to the rear shocks lol)

I'm a big learner by mistake I guess... Hence my many questions on here and such to find out what's what before I make absolute epic fails.

This car is all about experiment for me more than anything else, I will (I have no doubt) spend way too much money on her (kinda have already) and will always be looking for the next thing to do and way to improve what's already there. The engine is how I want her for now and so the handling and suspension is what's on the cards for the time being.

I appreciate the advise from all!!

I know the general consensus from this thread is that the "G" are overrated, but why do you say this? Is it simply that they're one of those companies who now live off the reputation that they got in years gone by and now don't deliver the same quality?

Or is it that they're just overly expensive for what you're getting??

I know I've been advised in the line of the G before, and also Avo more recently and obviously the billies too... Just wondering what brings the reviews out on them?

Batfink

basically most people want coilovers and will not pay the high prices for a high quality unit. Theres strong demand for cheaper and less capable units.

BlueBolt

I always heard that in order to get coils that were worth getting then they were costly... Cheap ones will work but you get what you pay for...??

Miles

Basically yes, I've never known why some of the named ones have such a reputation, I did have to fit a set for a customer once and that's what spelt the word of dome on these I was expecting something

BlueBolt

Bringing back an old thread, are there any makes that I should be trying to get or avoid when it comes to arb's and tb's??

Edited by BlueBolt

Francesco

ARB wise, if 24mm is a option, there is a reather cheap solution (106 GTi/306 GTi ARB): http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=99499

24 mm ARB and 23mm TBs are a good setup for a fast road/trackday car. Good enough for trackdays and not too hard for fast road. Also if you really want to use it on the track look at upgrading your suspension rubbers to something Baker BM (rear) and Powerflex black (front) has to offer. Also in choosing coilovers or not think about wanting to be able to corner weight your car and make it more in balance. Something that's often overlooked.

In the end, it all depends on your budget how good your setup can be.