• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Painted Trims

Carbs4me

Has anyone tried to paint their trims black?

If so what was the outcome? is it noticeable? does it look cheap and nasty?

If there has been sucess whats the best way to do it? and what paint did you use? and what color code works best?

Cheers

24seven

Painting them with the rough surface finish they have naturally always looks bad to my eyes. I've seen them smoothed flat and painted though, which I quite liked. Can't remember who/when the picture I'm thinking of was posted on here though.

If you're just trying to get the original black back into them go over them carefully with a heat gun. It doesn't wear off a week later like a lot of sprays and additives do, and always looks better.

Carbs4me

Yeah ive heard that before but the heat gun can make them become brittle

Anthony

If you just want to turn faded trims to their original colour, use Plasticare - cheap, easy and proven.

Paint seems to inevitable flake if not perfectly prepped and then looks absolutely dreadful.

24seven

Yeah ive heard that before but the heat gun can make them become brittle

Only if you go nuts with it, but they'll warp and go out of shape long before that. You literally just skim over them gently with the heat until the colour stops coming through, moving around constantly so it doesn't get too hot. I've done it to a good few cars with no issues on any of them.

Carbs4me

Might give that ago then! is it wise to do them while on the car?

My mate uses Chip fat oil on his Mk2 Golf.. as weird as it sounds..

24seven

Might give that ago then! is it wise to do them while on the car?

My mate uses Chip fat oil on his Mk2 Golf.. as weird as it sounds..

If you take them off and can get the trim inserts out without damaging them then it's a lot easier to get into the corners and around the edges, but you can still do it with them on the car as I say as long as you're careful not to get anything too hot.

TehPrefect

Never liked the painted trim look. Mine was like that when i bought it, wasnt done right and peeled off. Prefer the contrast with the body colour and find when theyre done shiny just look a bit wrong.

Having said that my front and rear bumpers have been sprayed but only to get them the right colour. Bought new one was black and the other was light grey. Went to paint suppliers and got some tins colour matched in plastic matte finish. 2 years later still sound. Just take it easy prep well and 3 light coats.

MiniGibbo

To paint them properly would take serious time as theyd need to be rubbed back perfectly smooth..

Filling or leaving textured would look lap.

dandanger

i did the mrs secnic's black bits with some pound shop black spay paint on a nice hot day and looked good to the day that was about 2 years ago.... so im gonna do the same to the pug as soon as iv worn off the used engine oil that the guy put on there before i got the car.

vtifan

To paint them properly would take serious time as theyd need to be rubbed back perfectly smooth..

Filling or leaving textured would look lap.

pretty much need pro spray equipment to paint them properly,when i did mine i roughed them up with 80-120 grit paper and then gave them a heavy coat of 2k ti primer,flatted the primer with 400 grit then primed again to cover the small bits of plastic that were showing through the primer,then flatted back with 600 grit then 3 coats of gloss black with plasticiser added,came up mint and never flaked or cracked,spent about 12 hours on them over 3 days

McDude

Plasticare for the win - don't even discuss anything else.

• Like 1