• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lacko

1.9 Wheels Rubbing

Lacko

Hi Guys,

I have just fitted a set of 1.9 alloys on my 1.6 with 195x50x15 yoko parada's and the back left seems to rub/catch when going over bumps and going around corners.

Any ideas what could be affecting this?

Cheers

Tom

vtifan

Hi Guys,

I have just fitted a set of 1.9 alloys on my 1.6 with 195x50x15 yoko parada's and the back left seems to rub/catch when going over bumps and going around corners.

Any ideas what could be affecting this?

Cheers

Tom

is it rubbing on the arch or inside ? how much is it lowered ?

welshpug

1.6 beams are marginally narrower IIRC, as well as the Parada's having a fairly chunky sidewall/shoulder and being 10mm oversize.

could also be a bent stub axle or worn out beam, or someone has had something heavy in the boot sliding about and dented the panel outwards.

Tom Fenton

Chances are there are problems with the rear beam trailing arm shaft/bearings meaning the slightly larger tyre is rubbing on the inner arch.

Lacko

Thanks for all the replies!

Its not been lowered at all and all the beams etc are more than likely to be original spec still.

I did have someone sitting in the back left when it happened but no one in the back right.

Is there anyway to check the condition on the beam and parts along side it?

Cheers

Tom

vtifan

Thanks for all the replies!

Its not been lowered at all and all the beams etc are more than likely to be original spec still.

I did have someone sitting in the back left when it happened but no one in the back right.

Cheers

Tom

stick your head under the rear bumper and look up behind the wheel and the inner wheelhousing,wheel should be parralel to housing if it leans in towards housing at top its on its way out,if youve got a fat mate get him to sit in the back :D

harryskid

stick your head under the rear bumper and look up behind the wheel and the inner wheelhousing,wheel should be parralel to housing if it leans in towards housing at top its on its way out,if youve got a fat mate get him to sit in the back :D

As an advisory if you have a fat mate make sure he has not read this be for you put him in the back as he might get pissy at the though of you thinking hes fat and go off the scale! :lol:

pug_ham

Only way to check the condition of an otherwise unknown beam is to strip it & replace whats needed.

Sounds like you have a dead beam to me.

g

Lacko

cheers for the help guys!

I have looked inside and it looked like part of flange joint had been bent and was pointing towards the wheel. I have straightened it but not really been able to fully check it.

Now you guys talk about checking the rear beam i might have to check! pretty proud to say everything on there is original other than the wheels and the exhaust system. probably means its on its way out after 21 years!