• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vtifan

Front Hubs

vtifan

are the 1.6 and 1.9 hubs different ? i am planning on fitting a gti6 engine and brakes to my 1.6 gti,also going to use the 1.6 box so are there any differences with the driveshaft spline size at the hub or the caliper mounting points,seem to remember changing the hubs on my mi16 but so long ago i cant remember :blink:

bertie_bas

Yeah they are different....

I have 1900 hubs etc and run the GTi-6 calipers n discs....

The 1600 shafts have a smaller shaft spline, I very much doubt that the 1600 shafts would hold up to a GTi-6...

I have fitted Motorsport shafts to my 2 litre turbo..... Haven't mashed a shaft since....

Bertie.

johnnyboy666

pretty sure theres a difference in disc offset as well, causing the 1.6 ones to give slightly wider track

welshpug

John is right there, the base model and 1.6 gti have the same bearing and spline but the drive flange and hence the discs have an extra 10mm offset over the base model and the 1.9.

a decent set of 1.6 shafts will cope with a gti6 fine I have found, though if you have a tight diff and abuse them they may not.,..

the gearbox end, i.e the diff is the same for 1.6 and 1.9.

vtifan

John is right there, the base model and 1.6 gti have the same bearing and spline but the drive flange and hence the discs have an extra 10mm offset over the base model and the 1.9.

a decent set of 1.6 shafts will cope with a gti6 fine I have found, though if you have a tight diff and abuse them they may not.,..

the gearbox end, i.e the diff is the same for 1.6 and 1.9.

so best to just get 1.9 shafts and hubs then,was pretty sure i had changed them on my old conversion but had so many spares then i just couldnt remember,also on the rear beam,i,m going to buy a gti6 or xsara vts for the swap parts,as my rear beam is goosed and was going to upgrade to 1.9 to fit gti6 brakes,i now understand i can use the gti6 trailing arms in the 1.6 axle tube,is this right as i think it would be better to recon the beam and fit gti6 arms than to take the chance buying a 1.9 beam that may be dodgy and need a rebuild anyway,good idea ?

j_turnell

Yes you can use the gti6 arms with the 205 tube. But either way the axle will need rebuilding IMO. The likelihood that both arm shafts will be good is minimal even less so on the xsaras in my experience. So you will need need new bearings and seals and potentially replacement arm shafts also.

welshpug

all beams need a rebuild these days, gti6 more so than base model 205's.

you can use any 306 xsara zx or 309 trailing arm in a 205 tube (barring some very rare early 205's with a small spline torsion bar)

vtifan

all beams need a rebuild these days, gti6 more so than base model 205's.

you can use any 306 xsara zx or 309 trailing arm in a 205 tube (barring some very rare early 205's with a small spline torsion bar)

was budgeting for a rebuild any way but doing it this way will save me buying 1.9 beam to rebuild,does the 1.9 have beefier torsion bars ?will i need to upgrade these ? also read that it changes the track/camber using the gti6 parts,is it best to change front to 309 parts when doing this ?

j_turnell

1.9 and 1.6 bars are the same. Running different sized bars really does depend on your overall setup so matching your front spring rates.

The 306 arms are wider and run a different hub offset. Not really an issue when using a 205 tube. Just means the wheels will fill the arches that bit better.

Camber and toe wise it's only an improvement IMO. Around 1.2 deg of camber and a nice amount of toe-in for stability.

vtifan

1.9 and 1.6 bars are the same. Running different sized bars really does depend on your overall setup so matching your front spring rates.

The 306 arms are wider and run a different hub offset. Not really an issue when using a 205 tube. Just means the wheels will fill the arches that bit better.

Camber and toe wise it's only an improvement IMO. Around 1.2 deg of camber and a nice amount of toe-in for stability.

well i think thats that covered then,thanks guys