• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mollisk

Trailing Arm Bronze Bushes

mollisk

I have fitted 'Oilite' bushes into a beam replacing the usual needle rollers bearings.

Oilite bushes are made from sintered bronze and graphite and are impregnated with oil in the manufacturing process.

I made the bushes with a 0.002" interference fit in the beam and found that a clearance of 0.005 on the Inside diameter gave a good fit on the trailing arm pins. I found that it was best to use carbide tooling and use coolant to stop the bushes overheating and loosing the impregnated oil when machining.

The bushes are readily available and much cheaper than using bronze stock such as PB1. In addition the oil and graphite means that no grease / grease nipples are necessary.

mollisk

hcmini1989

How much? and how long do you think these will last before replacement is due?.

mollisk

I paid £37.00 for enough material to complete one beam, however the price does come down if multiples are bought.

Only time will tell how long they will last, but I wouldnt fore see any problems as long as the end seals are in good order and keep moisture and debris out of the beam.

Mollisk