• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hcmini1989

Holding An Axle Together Without Torsion Bars

hcmini1989

Right am i right in thinking that the rear axle is held together with the rear torsion bars?,Does anyone have any ideas on how to hold the axle together without having any torsion bars fitted ,Ive thought of allsorts of contraptions but i was just thinking if anyone had done anything similar maybe something simple .

cheers for any ideas

Edited by hcmini1989

wicked

Why would you want that??

If you want extra springs or other mods, you could unleash your angle grinder on the splines of the torsion bars....

hcmini1989

I thought about that maybe turning the splines of the torsion bars and just fitting a small bush.But would this suffice?.I mean i thought the splines contributed to holding it all together .Due to there only being a little bolt/screw in the end of each one nothing substantial .Maybe i could bush them and drill and tap them with a bigger bolt ?.

Edited by hcmini1989

Rippthrough

The buggy is running just the arb out of a beam with a pair of M12 capscrews in - holds the torsion arms on that okay...

johnnyboy666

I was going to suggest a bolt through the hole in the ARB end plate into the ARB. would have to be quite flush tho I wouldve thought (mind you mine has 306 end plates wich I think poke out a bit more)

allanallen

We looked into this for a customer, we came up with a short rose jointed tie rod affair between the beam tube and trailing arm.

Unfortunately we didn't end up doing it as the guy sold the car, it was a simple method though and would be fairly easy to do.

hcmini1989

I think i will try Rippthrough`s method .Allan would this not restrict movement of the arms even with rosejoint`s .

allanallen

I think i will try Rippthrough`s method .Allan would this not restrict movement of the arms even with rosejoint`s .

Not really as theres not much movement at the pivot point of the trailing arm compared to wheel travel.