• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

damo

Brake Line Options For 1.9 Gti - Copper Or All Braded Ones?

damo

Hi ,

My1.9 restore project has rusty brake lines on the front so need replacing I assume for a MOT.

I was thinking off getting some copper pipe and running new ones from the master cylinder.

A numner of questions -

What size and length pipe would I need?

Type of fixings?

I have some goodridge braded lines to the calipers , someone mentioned just ising braded lines all the way through?

Any thougts avice anyone? Also where the best place to get them from? online of somewhere local?

That should cover my blonde monment questions :)

damo.

damo

no one got any pointers on what i should go out and buy to make new ones up?

or should I be ;asy and just get something made up?

welshpug

you will need two rolls of brake pipe, one isn't quite enough for the twin line diagonal split that a 1.9 has.

personally I would plumb the rear calipers as per later pugs, where they don't have the final short flexi pipe, so you only need the 4 flexis.

you need 14 M10 unions and two M12, one side of the inline brake compensators has the larger thread.

your local motorfactor will have everything you need, plumbing it braided fully is a very expensive route to take and wont give as firm a pedal as solid will.

Anthony

Copper pipe you need is 3/16" btw

AlexRS2782

I've just had a couple of areas of my brake pipes picked up on the MOT as advisories for rust, so looks like i'll need to to get on replacing mine soon as well to keep on top of the maintenance.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Anthony

Usually the worse place is where you can barely see them above the fuel tank - most original brake lines are in very poor condition in that area in my experience

Miles

Very much agreed, It's scary as with the lightest of touch's they can snap off

Tool wise I'm sure Ebay would have something or measure the pipe length's up and get a local garage to flare the ends

pug_ham

Service box lists the length of each brake pipe in mm on the relevent pages.

post-71-0-70647400-1343907931_thumb.jpg

Above lists the 1.9 page.

g

Rich_p

Edit - Thought I should start my own post rather than tagging a question on here.

Edited by Rich_p

damo

thanks guys. another job to my list :)

nixonmi16

Its best to use copper nickel pipe as its much stronger and does not fatigue like copper its a bit more difficult to bend but looks so much better on long runs as it does not sag. this is all we now use at work and its only a few quid more