• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EZ Tutty

Rear Brake Pads For Track Days

EZ Tutty

I'm building a VTS engined 205 for Track Day use, and was wondering what brake pads people use for track?... more specifically is it worth running uprated rear pads, or just a good brand of OE spec pad?

i was thinking either Mintex M1144 or M1155 pads up front, and maybe Mintex OE in the rear?

Opinions please

Paul

Tom Fenton

A good quality standard rear pad will do you just fine.

Make sure the retaining bar is a good fit. If in doubt lockwire it to retain it. I have had one get out and have lost rear pads, not a nice feeling when you go for the brakes and they are not there.

chipstick

I have a '6 anchor engine up front and run GTi6 front calipers with 1144's or 1155's (I forget) and have standard Peugeot rear discs and pads and they were fine on track.

What front calipers are you running?

EZ Tutty

Cheers, i'll stick with standard rears then!

I'm using the 1.9 GTi Front Calipers for now, i think i'll see how they fair up on the track before deciding if i want to change them.

Edited by EZ Tutty

Baz

Spend the money on good pads & fluid for them, IMO you won't then need any more.

matt.f

Spend the money on good pads & fluid for them, IMO you won't then need any more.

+1

EZ Tutty

Any recommendations on a good fluid?

welshpug

brake fluid seems to wok very well :D

we usually only use standard DOT 5.1 and change it more often.

Batfink

Most people run standard rears except when racing. Not sure if there is any real difference in braking. Might have to test a car one day to find out....

Baz

The rears do very little anyway, i can't see how having fancy £££ pads are going to really add to that over some Oe spec or bottom rung decent brand.

Fluid-wise, i've run Halfords 5.1 to good effect before, cheap and works well, as said just change every couple of years, ATE Super blue dot 4 is also very good and not expensive.

EZ Tutty

brake fluid seems to wok very well :D

:P

Cheers guys, i think i'll go with ATE Superblue as thats what i use in my R32 anyway :)

MiniGibbo

As above the rears do such little work in "most" cases oem pads are more than enough..

id recomend some 5.1 fluid, halfords is my chosen choice.. Fluid is fluid as long as its 5.1 its good enough for me.

I always 100% tie a wire loop on the end of the locking/sliding pin things.. my brother lost a pair of pads on a 100+ miles trip home one weekend in his clio sport (same rear calipers)

:P

Cheers guys, i think i'll go with ATE Superblue as thats what i use in my R32 anyway :)

Skyline or golf..?

EZ Tutty

Golf.... it's about 300-310bhp with the Nitrous + 1475kg, and the brakes on that haven't failed me yet, so i'm confident in ATE Superblue.

I've avoided Halfords dot5.1 since fresh fluid let me down in an Ibiza Cupra i used to have... massive fade and spongy pedal approching an island (was only fast road driving too!)

Edited by EZ Tutty

MiniGibbo

I'd say that was full of air opposed to the fluid.

Nice spec, r32's sound mint..

EZ Tutty

Nah deffo Fluid Fade.... the brakes were bang on until they got too hot, i suspect something more like contaminated fluid, but it's kinda put me off using Halfords stuff.

Cheers :) Yeah the sound almost makes up for the fuel economy lol

Edited by EZ Tutty

Rippthrough

M1144's are peanuts for Pug rear calipers if you really want something a bit better in there.

Cameron

Funnily enough my rears ran hotter than the fronts on track days due to them being solid discs, so I wouldn't believe the rears don't do anything. If you're running your brake bias properly the rears should actually do quite a bit of work!

Considering how little you can get a set of Mintex pads for it'd make sense to get some. I use AP Racing 600 fluid as it's reasonably priced and works well, you need to purge your system completely when changing from standard fluid though.

S@m

M1144's are peanuts for Pug rear calipers if you really want something a bit better in there.

Where might said peanuts be located? They are more expensive than the fronts wherever i look!

Sam

Cameron

Link doesn't work, but yeah Rally Design!

welshpug

works for me.

£31.81+vat+delivery.

S@m

Yeah, that link works or me also. Thanks for that.

Sam

matt.f

AP fluid or Millers also get very good reports.

C_W

I always used any old standard road pads on the rear and they were fine and didn't really wear too bad. I used the same approach on my BMW and just uprated the front pads and it doesn't work; the standard rear pads disintegrated to dust in a couple of hours at Oulton Park! so I always run uprated pads on that.

For brake fluid I use DOT 5.1 in both, EuroCarParts is the cheapest source of DOT5.1 I can find at £2.89/500ml, and with recent 30% off and free delivery cost me about £12 for 3litres delivered!