• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pazzapug

Spongey!

Pazzapug

Hi peeps,

Last night I replaced my lower arms and drop links.....oh and fitted my newly refurbed wheels and new tyres :-).......drove it to work this morning and it still feels really spongey, if not more so now!! I'm thinking new track rod ends and a balance??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

welshpug

what feels "spongey" ?

Tom Fenton

So many possibilities.

New tyres still with the release agent on?

Tracking out due to new lower arms?

Something you have disturbed not tight?

Anthony

Or given that you say still spongey, the parts you replaced weren't the cause of the original issue you were trying to fix.

You really need to narrow down parts that would cause the issue rather than just blindly replacing bits, as that quickly gets expensive and takes time. TRE's for example don't really make a car "spongey" but the steering feel vague and sloppy, and unbalanced wheels will vibrate at speed (typically 60mph+) which again, I wouldn't call "spongey"

"Spongey" to me sounds more like dampers, top mounts or similar that are shot, or possibly a tired steering rack, but really depends on what symptoms you're describing with such a word. The usual use for the word would be brakes that aren't properly bled, leading to a soft, spongey feeling brake pedal because there's still air trapped in the system.

Pazzapug

Thanks for the replies guys. Il rephrase....when I say spongey I mean the front end doesn't seem planted and bounces a bit.

All parts are tight, I replaced the lower arms as my last pug had the same problem and it cured it, although I replaced the rod ends too and had it balanced!

Pazzapug

what feels "spongey" ?

The front of the car doesn't feel planted like it should so I'm getting alot of bouncyness and the steering feels lighter?

S@m

If you bounce on the front end with the car stationary does it settle quickly or continue to 'bounce' for a little while? - its hard to describe but you'll know if something isnt right. If thats the case it could be dampers.

Sam

Batfink

sounds to me like front dampers.

pug_ham

I also think its suspension related.

g

Pazzapug

Just sat on the wing and bounced on it and it's pretty bouncy!! One side I can continue bouncing with my hands while the other side I can't as much??

Tom Fenton

New dampers required.

Pazzapug

New dampers required.

Tom, could it be possible that the top strut mountings are shot?? I can check them obviously, if there fine then I'm guessing it's the dampers?

S@m

A top strut mount would likely cause a knock rather than a bouncy effect - still take the complete strut off adn check all components to be sure.

Sam

McDude

Dampers! That's what they do, stop the bouncy, bouncy!

You have to remove the whole strut so you'll see if the top mount rubber is shot as well.

Pazzapug

Thanks guys most appreciated, will replace tom and let you know the outcome!! Fingers crossed!! :-0