• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cocopops2001

Rusty Bits

cocopops2001

Finally got a decent day to have a root around my CTi and get it up and running again after sitting idle for a couple of months.

I have noticed that I have a rather nasty hole near the sill at the drivers door which will need repaired ASAP. It appears the underseal has been damaged and is now rusting underneath.

Where else is the car (CTi or 205 generally) susceptible to rust that I should check out, especially places that may be hidden by trim or interior?

I am planning on removing most of the interior to get the floor pan sorted and anything else that may crop up after a thorough inspection.

Anthony

Usual places on the tin tops that I've found are:

• Headlight panel
  • Inner wing seams, both in the engine bay and front wheel arch
  • Where the chassis leg joins the bulkhead under the brake servo
  • Rear footwells
  • Under the rear seat bases
  • Boot floor, particularly the back and sides
  • Rear bumper mounts
  • Either side of the fuel tank
  • Where the sill and rear quarter panel join
  • The base of the B-pillar

Not sure about any CTi specifics, other than the hood frame which tends to suffer over the years.

No doubt plenty of other places given that these cars are generally 20+ years old, but the above are all common. Anything that's got prior accident damage, has had long term leaks or has spent considerable time near the sea or with regular exposure to road salt is likely to be worse.

cocopops2001

Cheers, looks like I may be stripping to bare bones just to make sure I dont miss anything. Hopefully the sun stays out all weekend. :wacko: