• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Harness Bar Fitting... Thoughts

Spiky

hi

i have a omp 10 point bolt in cage,

and currently harnesses are mounted on boot floor old seatbealt eyes using eyelut's

i have a spare section of CDS 40 tube, same as cage and was thinking of buying the ends like the Door bars and fitting between the B pillar posts

so what is the general consensus on this,

i sure the strenghth should be ok, as after all, currently is using 1 eyelut in the boot floor

i'm sure many will say it's unsafe, but surely is safe than my current setup and puts the harnesses at a better angle

was either that or put some parallel bars on the angled section of the cage, but it would mean the harness would be off centre to the seat as the angled bars and not "over" enough to have the harnesses straight out of the seat (if that makes sense)

MiniGibbo

What ever you do will be better than the oem belt eyes..

In an accident the forces will have a good chance of compressing your spine.

matt.f

Yep,know what you mean about OMP cages and the seatbelts won't come out straight.Not bad cages though and stood up well when me and my dad rolled in the forest.

SD C44 probably your best bet but will mean grinding out cage plates and another £250(second hand) on top of what you get for

yours.

Seen people weld bars in from the inner quarters,but not right imo and still not as high as a harness bar normally is

Batfink

I'd weld in the rear cross bar and then weld the harness bar onto that. Not sure I see the point of having it removable anyway..

Spiky

That is another option but will it be an issue that' the harnesses will be in a slight kink to the harness bar?

matt.f

That's what you meant before and what I said.

Looking from the back they will go more to the middle of the car because of where the rear stays mount.

Spiky

yeah, i knew you understood, was just replying to batfink :)

i used to have a harness bar welded in on the rear arch's, but removed it

welshpug

if you use eyelets screwed into welded bosses you can get the outer most ones a little further out,

Lowercase

i don't think there's anything particularly unsafe about a harness bar as long as its not been put in by a total retard.

the only potentially dangerous thing about them is the fear that it will 'chopstick' in a crash if the harness's are free to drift into the middle of the bar and bend/snap.

bend up a bit of rod and weld that onto the bar to keep them in a direct line and you should be okay. - that applies for those who have looped the straps around the bars.

without teaching you to suck eggs, the strongest point on the bar is at each end. :)

Miles

No Harness bars for me, Must be on the cage, Thou this is a extreme case but the cage and seat where all pretty good, loads of room between the seat and wheel, impact speed was around 70mph while the car was stationary

post-43-0-80217900-1343256006_thumb.jpg

BlueBolt

No Harness bars for me, Must be on the cage, Thou this is a extreme case but the cage and seat where all pretty good, loads of room between the seat and wheel, impact speed was around 70mph while the car was stationary

Holey crap!!! Driver got out alright??? That's mangled!!!

matt.f

Jesus,hope anyone in there was ok

Spiky

miles i think you might have mis read my first post

the harness bar idea is to weld between the b pillar bar's of the cage,

not like i had it before

Cameron

Why would you do that as opposed to fitting one in the rear diagonal / X? You'd be using 4-5 times as much tube and that stuff isn't light!

welshpug

how do you work that one out Cameron? :lol:

granted the main hoop is a little wider than the rear stays, but not THAT much.

Spiky

PLUS

as stated above the, if i did that the harness would not go straight back, they would be at an angle and surely thats not ideal?

Cameron

Am I missing something here? :lol:

You're on about shoulder harnesses, right? If so.. fitting a bar into your rear diagonal / X uses about 300mm of tube, whereas fitting something between the legs of the B hoop will use about 1.5m.

welshpug

2 seats Cameron.

and I think a 205 is barely 1500 total width :lol:

Spiky

this is my car (2009) so as you can see slightly modified rear,

doesnt quite show the offset of the cage,

16022009613.jpg

Edited by Spiky

Batfink

From the pic your current harnesses are at an angle already so I would not worry too much about the same for a harness bar.

Spiky

very true

whats the recommend angle that it should be installed at

11 degree's sticks in my head :)

Cameron

OHHH I SEEEEEE! :lol:

Ok yeah if that was me, I'd weld a bar between the bottoms of those backstays, with a little tab in the centre that ties it in to the bodywork and stops it bending in a crash - see poorly drawn MS Paint illustration below: :D

Harbarrrrrrr.jpg

That way your rear diagonal is still removable, and it will stiffen up your rear beam mounts too. Might not be within the MSA guidelines on angle though.. you'd have to check if you intend to race it.