• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ_T

Lowering A 3 Door Seat

Russ_T

Hello,

I'm quite tall and didn't realise how much I slouched in the 205. From asking on here I learnt there are some fairly thick washers you can remove from under the seat, or potentially you can remove the tilt mechanism.

Anyway I had a go at it and it's one of the best things I've done to the car! I can sit comfortably and it feels better not being on a perch. It's simple and took me about 30 minutes. I only did it to one side, otherwise the only way in the back is through the boot :) Only downside is without the tilt the seat seems to bolt further forward relative to the runners, so now I always have my seat all the way back.

post-20726-0-19185600-1342720361_thumb.jpg

Here is the underside of the seat, with tilt up. You simply unbolt the sliding rails from the tilt section. Then unbolt the tilt part from the seat. Then the slide part will bolt directly to the seat.

Only hiccups are the plastic trim on the side of the seat needs to be removed as it'll foul on the floor. It still looks fine, although you could trim it down if you are keen. That and the seat belt mounts to the tilt mechanism not the seat itself. I found this convenient hole.

post-20726-0-34721500-1342721814_thumb.jpg

The current bolt is fractionally too big a diameter to fit it, you could drill the hole out a bit I guess, but I found a sturdy bolt that fitted with a nylock nut for it.

post-20726-0-67042900-1342721829_thumb.jpg

Overall I think I've lowered my seat about 3 inches maybe more leaving the washers in place still. This doesn't sound like much but I'm 6'4" and can sit upright now and not mess my hair up. And it feels a bit more sporty being sat lower hehe.

Edited by Russ_T
  • Like 1

Slo

Im glad ive got a cti with plenty of headroom, well when the roof is down anyway ;) good mod that mcdude only just informed me about it last week too as i didnt know you could remove the tilt bit, great mini guide chap

clayts

Nice summary of the job.

I have done this to my seats, but found the real problem being trying to bolt the seat back into the floor of the car. As you also found, the seat seems to be further forward without the tilt, so the clearance for the 2 front bolts is minimal. I managed to het one of the two in, but the second one - closest to the centre is impossible!

Any tips on how you can get those torx bolts back into place?

Weser

Nice Guide! I didnt know this could be done. Although I am 5'9" so im ok :P However I do find the higher up seats make my legs ache when driveing compared to my old 5 door.

As for the torx bolts I use a torx bit (i.e. one that fits in a socket) and then I get a ratchet spanner to turn it. Works really well. Can get on some of the bolts with a socket and ratchet.

Russ_T

Yeah the bolts are a pain!

I found two things made life a lot easier, an impact driver for removing the bolts nearist the transmission tunnel as these go right through the floor and rust on the outside/underside of the car.

For the fiddly ones at the front I had a torx bit from a screwdriver and a 1/4" spanner and had to just hold the bit with my finger tips and turn it with the spanner, 1/4 turn at a time. It wasn't fun, but having someone tilt the seat back a bit as I did it made it a bit easier as I had more space for the tool then. You can buy very shallow bits and ratchets for jobs like this, I really need to invest in some, hmm I feel a purchase coming on

http://www.teng.co.uk/t1420-teng-tools-20-pce-1-or-4-inches-drive-socket-and-bits-set-(bbx20)_530_pd.asp

McDude

Also done this - I seem to remember a 7mm allen key will fit the floor bolts.

I kept the same fixing point for the seat belt but found it clashed with the handbrake surround - I used a 309 clasp as it is a bit longer.

Russ_T

The fixing point that mine was originally bolted to was part of the seat tilt gear, yours must be different maybe because it's a 1.5? Hmmm

jonXS

i never knew that this could be done may just do this. but what about the mot part? would it not fail as you cant get in the back of the car

Russ_T

I'm not sure if there is a legal requirement to do that, and I can squeeze through but it's just very awkward and tight lol, but I have left the passenger seat alone so people can get in that way :)

Anthony

You can still get in and out though the passenger side, so it should be fine for the MOT I'd imagine.

Certainly I know of people with a fixed bucket on the drivers side who have never had issues.

jonXS

thats good to know.

Shark506

My drivers seat is a fixed bucket seat & passenger seat is standard on tilt mechanism, never been any problems with an MOT.