• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

Mystery Bearing Rumble?...

rallysteve

My 1.6 seems to have a mystery nosie that I can't track down the cause of. The nosie is what I would describe as a rumble. I assumed it was a wheel bearing as the car was previously stood for a number of. years. It is evident when turning right or braking, occasionaly can hear it in a striaght line but the engine and tyre noise makes it hard to hear. I have changed both left wheel bearings and the r/h rear too. All bearings have been swapped for brand new SKF ones. I have checked the tyres are not rubbing on anything which they don't seem to be doing (they are 1.9 alloys with 185 tyres on). Can anyone think of what else it could be?

Thanks

Steve

Slo

Oddly enough ive not long since fitted a set of 1.9 smr's with 185 tyres on and had the exact same thing, rumbling/light scraping noise. A good thrash ##sorted it out whatever it was but it took a while. I know that doesnt help you, but I have a suggestion have you jacked up each wheel and spun it by hand to see if theres anything inside the tyres? Might sound strange but ive known people put small pebbles in the tyre to make a rumbling sound that catches peoples attention at low speed

rallysteve

Cheers, its had a fair workout :) the tyres are semi slick tarmac rally ones so there are not any stones in them at all. I thought intially it might be the engine touching something on the body as the mounts are a little tired but it does it without the engine even running. It is evident at even very minimal steering angles so it can't be tyre rubbing on the arch. One thing I did notice was the brake backing plate on the lh rear drum looks very bent although didn't seem to touch when I re-assembled yesterday. I will jack up each corner and give the wheels a good spin tomorrow. There seems to be no play in any bearings however.

Cheers Steve

rallysteve

Could be, although any driiveshaft of cv issues I have had before seem to be knocking noises and only really evident on hard lock and when accelerating. This seems slightly worse when braking. I would have thought it would stop doing it if coasting out of gear if it was cv related.

Cheers Steve

S@m

Driveshaft intermediate bearing maybe

Sam

Simes

Driveshaft intermediate bearing maybe

Sam

+1

rallysteve

Good idea. Will add that to the list for tomorrow. Even though its on the right hand shaft, loading that wheel might shut it up!

Keep any other ideas coming :)

Cheers Steve

N3VRAM

I've had this noise too and upon examining the long driveshaft today found this bearing to be the cause. If anyone knows if the bearing is interchangable i'd love to know how... as i spent wehat felt like a lifetime trying to figure it out! I'm half tempted to just buy a new driveshaft and get it out the way with as im not sure how much of a battering the (crappy) tinny bit will take.

WP_000520.jpg

welshpug

yep it is removable, there's that steel bush next to it that stops it from coming off as well.

S@m

That is the driveshaft intermediate bearing already mentioned - no point buying a new driveshaft since it won't come with one of those - just have to get a new one. They are part number 324703 and cost £26 from peugeot/citroen. Usually in stock aswell since the whole range use them.

Sam

Edited by Sam306

welshpug

new shafts come with them.

its a pretty standard bearing, cost you under a tenner off ebay.

edit, its a 6006 2RS, looks like you'll even get an SKF bearing for about a fiver.

Edited by welshpug

maxi

So just to get this straight, the intermediate bearing on the o/s shaft is removeable? Something ive never tried before as I do have this exact noise on one of my 205's...... Do they need pressing off?

Maxi

welshpug

pressing or pulling yes, it is advisable to replace the steel bush next to the bearing as well given its an interference fit.

B1ack_Mi16

Have done some of these lately. You just need the tooling, then it's easy :)

I made myself a 10mm thick steel plate, drilled two 14mm holes in it, one on each side, in the middle I placed a 5cm length of exhaust tubing which I welded on.

Use a bearing puller behind the bearing:

bearing_puller_attachment.jpg

Then just use some threaded bars to connect the bearing puller to your end plate.

I use M12 bars so I have some beefy threads (as they might sit mighty hard and M8 threads might actually fail).

But due to limited size of the holes in the bearing puller I use M8 12.9 high tensile bolts at that end, and used some thick walled square tubing bits to connect the M8 to the M12 bolts/bars.

Removed from my 407's driveshaft this weekend actually:

120712-IMAG0373.jpg

Tom Fenton

Call me rough but I don't do any of that to get the old bearing off. Mr Angle Grinder to the fore and cut the old stuff off. Grind down to the shaft size carefully, you can see the metal change colour as it gets thin. Then knock the remains off with a hammer and chiz. Then to press the new one on just needs a length of suitable pipe.

B1ack_Mi16

Could also do that, I like to get off the bush in good condition as I can't be arsed to buy a new one.

Also I don't like the risk of getting a cut into the bearing surface from a metal fatigue point of view.

That's how you start thinking when you're doing fatigue calculations at work :)

Tom Fenton

I know all about fatigue, one of the things I am responsible for maintaining at work is hydraulic loader cranes.

However if you are careful with the grinder and I guess with a bit of experience you can get the bearing off without marking the shaft surface.

I had this about 9 months ago. Suspected it to be the intermediate driveshaft bearing and indeed it was. Thanks to advice on here I got a new bearing online - about 10 quid (skf I think) and a new bush from Pug, again about 10 quid.

I don't recall having a problem getting the old bearing off or the new one on, but did get the garage nearby to heat the new bush up to aid getting it on properly. All has been fine since and a nice cheap fix compared to a whole new driveshaft which I didn't need :)

Edit: for info, skf bearing from simply bearings.co.uk part number: 6006.2Z.SKF

New bush from Pug, part no: 324808

(this is on a 1.9 drive shaft btw).

Edited by 2052006

welshpug

I use the same technique as tom when doing wheel bearings, works wonderfully and you get to use power tools :D

N3VRAM
I had this about 9 months ago. Suspected it to be the intermediate driveshaft bearing and indeed it was. Thanks to advice on here I got a new bearing online - about 10 quid (skf I think) and a new bush from Pug, again about 10 quid. I don't recall having a problem getting the old bearing off or the new one on, but did get the garage nearby to heat the new bush up to aid getting it on properly. All has been fine since and a nice cheap fix compared to a whole new driveshaft which I didn't need :) Edit: for info, skf bearing from simply bearings.co.uk part number: 6006.2Z.SKF New bush from Pug, part no: 324808 (this is on a 1.9 drive shaft btw).

Does anyone know if these are the same for the standard/1.4 driveshafts?

welshpug

Yep :) any ma+be and al4 gearbox equipped vehicle uses this one, the ml uses a larger bearing.

N3VRAM

Thankyou very much. Looks like i won't be shelling out another 60quid for a new driveshaft afterall!

Henry Yorke

I'm wondering if this is the cause of my Honda FR-V rumble/ knock which is speed related and is most pronounced at just under 30mph whether you are in gear or not. Going round corners makes no difference and there is not any obvious movement in the wheels when you wobble them.

(Go on Welshpug, point me to the cheapest place for determining a decent quality Honda bering online!)