• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

What Pas Pipes For Xsara Vts Rack And 106/saxo Pump

johnnyboy666

I've got myself a xsara vts rack to go on the 205, and after a few crazy thoughts of de-pas-ing it, I have decided that an electric pump on a switch would be much more user friendly!

So theres plenty of threads on the wiring and fitting the pump, so that should be fine, but having never had a PAS car before, I need a little advice on the pipework from pump to rack.

the rack has had the pipework cut off at about 4inches, so this will need renewing, and I havent bought the pump yet as I wasnt sure whether to get one with pipework or without.

so the questions really are:

-can I use/adapt the saxo/106 pipework?

-can flexible pipe be used as well as solid lines?

-what fitments will I need to the rack?

-where is a good source of pipes/fittings online?

-anybody got any pics of how theyve done theirs for some inspriation?

cheers in advance!

allanallen

I'd get as much of the pipes from the 106/saxo as you can.

The low pressure return pipe can simply be push on rubber hose and jubilee clips.

For the high pressure I used the standard 205 pipe chopped where it comes over the subframe towards the front of the car. Standard saxo pipe chopped off about 200mm long (from memory). Then I had a length of high pressure hydraulic hose made up with a 10mm(saxo end) compression fitting at one end and a 8mm (205 end) on the other. Snotch it up and off you go!

Easy :)

johnnyboy666

cheers :)

forgot to mention that the 205 is non-pas so dont have any 205 pipework at all.

Is it possible to use hydralic hose the whole way and thus make routing it a bit easier?

Tom Fenton

The Saxo/106 setup does simplify things as you only need two pipes with unions on, the high pressure from the pump to the rack which needs to be properly swaged each end, and the low pressure return to the pump unit, which can be done using rubber flex and push on fittings/jubillee clips.

When I did mine I used the pipe that came with the Xsara rack on the high pressure side, this swings over the end of the rack to then run along the 205 subframe. I then had another steel pipe bent to follow the route of the high pressure pipe. Both of these with rubber hose swaged on, they come up from the subframe on the passenger side of the bulkhead area. The pump mounts lovely on the passenger side chassis leg below the expansion tank (GTI) and behind the battery.

Finally you have the small filler pot which has a short length of rubber pipe from it to the pump unit secured with clips.

I will try to take some photos tonight, it is a shame you didn't ask earlier as I could have shown you my car at Pugfest or when you came up for the beam.

A couple of things for you to reap the benefit of my struggles.

1. Make sure the wiring is clear of the bulkhead. If the wiring comes out of the back on the pump you have, it is a 5 min job to remove 4 screws and clock the motor round 180 degrees. I wish I'd have realised this earlier as it would have saved me nearly setting the car on fire.

2. I strongly advise you strip and clean the motor out before you use a second hand pump. Both of the two pumps I have used had motor casings full of s*ite which caused the first one to expire after 30 min use after fitting.

3. These pumps do draw an awful lot of current. You will need some decent heavy duty wiring and also a large fuse holder to suit a maxi fuse. Usual fuse required is something like 50 AMP. Try and get some wiring with the donor pump if you can as it is decent and can be re used, especially the relay setup.

johnnyboy666

cheers Tom. I've made careful notes after reading your comment in the other thread regarding stripping the motor down and turning it 180degrees.

Yeah wouldve been handy to have a look if i'd thought about it! To be honest, I wasnt planning on doing this conversion til after i'd swapped the engine, but a rack came up for £50 so thought I'd get the ball rolling (and gives me an excuse to put off the engine swap for a little longer!)

so it seems the low pressure side should be simply a case of making sure it doesnt foul on anything, then re-use as much of the saxo pipework as possible and get a steel pipe or hyd hose to connect the two. the filler pot just wiggle into a convenient location so I dont p*ss fluid all down the engine bay!