• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Oe Looking Wing Mirror Blanking Plate

johnnyboy666

just thought I'd put up a couple of pics on the off chance that it may interest somebody.

Some of you may know I dont have a passenger wing mirror fitted to my GT. few reasons.

1. people kept knocking it in car parks etc

2. you dont legally need one

3. the 205 has such thin pillars that I prefer to look behind my to the left rather than rely on that mirror

post-9599-0-37203400-1341784113_thumb.jpg

I dont like the plastic base plates you get with aftermarket mirrors, I did at first think of taking this route, but it looked tacky so changed my mind and made my own.

I dismantled the mirror so I ended up with just the plastic where it bolts on to the door. I then cut that down and filed it to get it as close to flat as I could without thin spots.

then bridged the gap, fillered and rubbed down

I innitially was going to colour code them with the car, but I was struggling to find a primer that would work on plastic and filler and not react with the topcoat.

In the end I gave in and went hammerite black

few blobs of tigerseal on the plate and fit it in place....

post-9599-0-35289400-1341784444_thumb.jpg

held it on with a clamp (of course it rained whilst I was doing this and I couldnt close the window fully, sods law!)

johnnyboy666

and the finished article. Just waiting for the tigerseal to cure properly before I take it for a spin to see what the wind noise is like.

post-9599-0-14788000-1341784588_thumb.jpg

post-9599-0-56689000-1341784605_thumb.jpg

I know nobodies likely to want to delete a wing mirror, but If you're using race mirrors/bike mirros etc, this would look good with them bolted to it rather than a 'universal backing plate' or bolted straight onto the panel (flimsy)

Cameron

Cars look so weird without wing mirrors.. it's like looking at a person with no ears. :lol:

• Like 1

Rjuhar

Peugeot has a plate for this same purpose which for your use would be part nr. 9013 64 but of course isn't available any more. I have it on a GTI from 87 originally:

auftk9.jpg

Edited by Rjuhar

johnnyboy666

yeah i'm sure I remember seeing one in a scrap yard years ago on a phase one base model. Havent seen one since, so thought I'd have a go myself :)

Cars look so weird without wing mirrors.. it's like looking at a person with no ears. :lol:

it's quite amusing really, because it looks pretty OE people scratch their heads and wonder whats missing