• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rjuhar

Pictures Of Power Steering Components

Rjuhar

I need heeeeelp please. A friend of mine, who is doing mechanics on my car is retrofitting power steering whic I bought from fleebay. It's supposed to be a complete set however there are few things in the air as he doesn't know where exectly stuff shuold be mounted. Would anyone be nice enough to take a camera and shoot the pictures of power steering components and where exactly are they mounted. I know it will be slightly different on a right hand car but I am sure it will help nonetheless.

Slo

first remove the alternator and the alternator bracket, then bolt on the power steering bracket, and pump with alternator adjuster to it, then remount the alternator on the top. the feed pipe goes from the back of the pump across the front of the engine and over the gearbox to the rack, return pipes comes back over the gearbox to the bottle which mounts to the slam panel in front of the battery and then finally pump feed pipe also across the front of the engine. Note that you will need to remove everything in front of the engine to locate the pressure feed pipe, including the inlet manifold and oil filler. this is everything you need, if anything is missing you cant complete it!

KGrHqRkwE8NuvfT4BPR5zQYYQ60_12.jpg

Edited by Slo

j_turnell

The high pressure pipe does fit with the inlet on just a bit awkward, but saves a lot of hassle.

Rjuhar

So, first thing's first. We mounted the pump, connected it with high pressure pipe to the rack (a steel bit of high pressure pipe that goes behind the inlet manifold is really very tight to the coolant hose - is that normal?). Now we're stuck. We are left with three pipes, a container and we don't know where what goes anymore as we were probably staring under the hood for too long.

First - is this cooling pipe mounted correctly?

219p1k7.jpg

There are two hoses attached to the cooling pipe - one long one, wrapped in plastic and one very short one. I don't know if they should be there or not but you ca see them on the picture:

2myug6s.jpg

So my question now - as I have seen on the picures the wrapped hose is lead arround the windscreen washer bottle but do not know, does it go to the rack or to the cooling pipe - all I know is that it comes to the power steering container. I'm all lost now - I don't even know what I am writing any more but I would really like it to be as it was originally meant instead us making up new ways to connect the power steering. Would anyone take 5 mins and explain this like ABC for idiots (which I obviously am...) Thanks

Rjuhar

Is it possible that a tight fit of high pressure pipe against the cooling hose could be because the complet power steering is not originally from GTI? As I've seen there is quite some difference in piping between GTI and non-GTI models...

welshpug

IIRC on a 205 the cooling loop goes under the floor on the passenger side :unsure:

edit, yep looks like it

2F40H10A.gif

Edited by welshpug

Rjuhar

OK, now that explains a thing or two. Now I only have to get a picture of where underneath the car this gets mounted as I don't seem to have the holes ready. Can anyone take a pic please. I know you think I'm an idiot but I never even saw an original GTI with power steering and as I bought a set to retrofit I just got a whole bundle in a box and not a clue of where anything goes so we had to guess. Obviously our guess for the loom was way of althouh it sits there quite nicely.

Does anybody have a spare high pressure pipe for a GTI (the one I have fits but it sits so tight against the coolant hose I'd rather have a proper GTI one)

welshpug

which coolant hose?

Rjuhar

I'll take some pictures when I get to the garage. Now I really have to sort out where the cooling loop sits under the car as I don't have a clue.

Ryan

The cooling pipe runs alongside the brake pipe on the left-hand side of the car. Looks like you already have the clips (the white ones ones on the cooler pipe in your photo) - these replace the brake pipe clips and hold both the brake pipe and the steering cooler.

Anthony

Does anybody have a spare high pressure pipe for a GTI (the one I have fits but it sits so tight against the coolant hose I'd rather have a proper GTI one)

Remember that pipe will differ between LHD and RHD models, so no good sourcing one from the UK (assuming yours is LHD)

Personally I don't bother running the PAS cooling loop and have never found any adverse effects, but there is no reason why you couldn't run it on the front panel like you have as that's how it was done on 306's etc and probably a safer bet on an extensively lowered car or one used for rallying due to the risk of damage if it's underneath the floorpan. You'll need to extend the low pressure return pipework, but that's fairly standard hose that's commonly/cheaply available.