• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
will_lliw

How To Top Coat Stone Chip

will_lliw

i have just sprayed all of the underneath of my car in white stonechip, i want to finish the bottom with miami blue top coat, do i need to prime over the stonechip or will the paint stick to it? im going to use halfords spary cans to do it as i cant find any one elses that matchs miami blue in 1 pack paint. And yes ive used paintable stonechip!

SurGie

I have recently done this job using another type of rollered 2k paint because the first time i did it the stonechip reacted somehow and went soft.

If its 1k stonechip then paint on top is all thats needed, keying the surface stonechip isn't really needed either. If you want to gain even better adhesion then give the stonechip a good key with some rough wet and dry paper, doing it dry.

Did you etch prime the bare steel surface before the stonechip at all ?

Edited by SurGie

will_lliw

No i sprayed over the factory stonechip, mine reacted a little to, so out came the scraper!!

SurGie

If it's a 205 were talking about then its not stonechip, its sealant originally. The floor pan on mine did originally have oil, grease, road grime everywhere on this sealant, i think because of this the sealant must have soaked it in, which resulted in the bad reaction.

So because of the above reasons, the floor pan ended up being all clean steel, every nook and cranny then roller painted it in 2k epoxy primer and painted.

will_lliw

in the end i stone chipped the whole underneath of the car in white paintable stonechip, i lagged it on using a special spray gun and decided to spray underneath in 2 pac miami blue, it has come out brilliant, just leave the stonechip dry for a few weeks!!