• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

Retrofitting Abs - Interest/shopping List

welshpug

yes but not specifically, just any ZX, Xsara 306 + ABS hub.

unariciflocos

So just as a recap of the shopping list for 205 that has never had ABS:

1. Bosch 5.3 ABS ECU - Any 306?

2. Loom - any 306?

3. ABS pump - any 306?

4. Front ABS hubs - 205 1.9 with ABS?

5. Outer CV joints - 23 Internal teeth, 25 External, 29 ABS teeth - p/n: TDL9483R / 3272 E5 / 95656495

6. Rear Calipers, stub, bearing - Any 306/Xara/zx?

7. Whole lot of piping - custom in copper?

8. Rear compensator? - Any 306?

Sounds simple enough and I sure know ABS saved me from my stupidity on some occasions so don't see why more people have not done this yet?

RossD

If you go for the Bosch 5.3 ABS from a late 306, chances are that you will not need a rear compensator, as this function is built into the ECU (The ones with EBFD anyway - Electronic Brake Force Distribution)

Anthony

I agree that's the case in theory, but I don't know how well that would work in practice when you're using the ABS system on a significantly lighter car with typically a different brake setup and the resulting different brake force bias. Presumably the EBFD is calibrated to the characteristics of the paticular car its fitted to.

Be very handy if it did work as the theory says though :)

welshpug

It all works on wheel slip rates does it not? So rather than the earlier pure ABS systems it alters the brake force rather than stopping it?

unariciflocos

I did consider that the system would be calibrated for a car that is much heavier and for different calipers with different cylinder volume, pressure, flow, etc. Maybe it would be an idea to also borrow all the calipers from the donor vehicle to make the system work best.

However ABS works on the principle of monitoring wheel speed and releasing the brake on the wheel which moves faster or slower than the rest. I do not believe weight is such a an important factor as it only influences grip, and grip is close to 0 on ice or snow and the ABS system still works.

sub205

Sorry for raping this old thread... but is there any reason not to use the EBD-unit from newer PUGs?

I've got a complete system from a Xsara (2003) with cables, sensors, block and axles.

It seems like a fairly easy job.

The Xsara did not have any brake limiters in the fluid lines so i assume everything will be done correctly by the block.

How is the block doing this? And how is it limiting the brake force in the event of a system failure?

In other words: What is the block itself doing without a plugged central connector?

Is there some build in limiter or are the rear brakes nearly zero without power?