• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Davro

Brake Upgrades

Davro

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and the world of 205's but I have a couple of questions;

1. Is changing a standard master cylinder to a 306 Gti 6 Master cylinder just a remove and replace job or is there more to it?

2. Will 206 gti brake calipers, discs etc fit straight onto my 1.9 205 GTi hubs or is there more to it?

Thanks for any advice you might give in advance.

Cheers

Dave

Anthony

Remember that a 306 GTI MC has only 2 outlets, which means that unless you've an ABS equipped 205, you'll have to adapt the brakelines to suit.

Much easier to use an early 406 non-ABS MC if you need a larger MC as these are 4 outlet and thus a straight swap (using a blanking plug on the 4th outlet for 1.6 models that only use 3 lines)

Davro

That is great advice, thank you. I think I will go with the early 406 type as I don't have ABS.

I'm not really looking at putting spacers on the car and currently am running the standard 1.9 alloys, is there a better option of caliper than the normal 206gti caliper as I know the 307 2.0 HDI/206 GTi 180/306 GTi 6 caliper work with 283mm discs. Is there another models version that is popular as an upgrade that I can use and not have to get spacers?

Or would the 206 gti 266mm set up work good enough?

Cheers

Dave

welshpug

you shouldn't need spacers with any of the aforementioned bake calipers if you are on 15" wheels.

however what spec is the est of the car? you will find that a refreshed braking system will suffice for most.

Edited by welshpug

Davro

The car is just a standard 1.9 spec. But the master cylinder needs replacing so I was looking at upgrading at the same time. But I think I might just change the cylinder to the 406 non ABS version to improve things there and maybe just leave the calipers for a bit until i've driven it abit more.....

Thanks for the advice guys

Dave

welshpug

on standard calipers that'll give you a very short pedal with lower pressure at the caliper.

Miles

Use GTi6 callipers, Pads and disc's are cheaper, More common and better options on pad material too

oonip

on standard calipers that'll give you a very short pedal with lower pressure at the caliper.

Caliper pressures will have to be the same as before to achieve the same braking effort, by only changing the m/c to a larger bore means a shorter pedal and less effort required to produce the same pressure as before.

Your brake system will not be improved it will just have a different feel. i.e less pedal travel and less effort required. So unless you are looking for this I would just replace the M/C with a standard one.

e8_pack

Ive used HiSpec Ultralite 4 M16 lug mount calipers and they weigh less than a kilo each, best way to get small 4 pots and will fit under some 13" wheels so i can use cheap slicks. Used with a std pug 266mm disc its a straight fit.

This is on my AX, however many people use the 206 266mm brakes so i'd have thought they'd fit the 205.

calipers are pretty cheap too at £95 a pop and pads are cheap too. hooked upto a 406 23mm MC, pretty good brakes for their size and weight!