• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ladderboy

'sticky' Brake Servo

ladderboy

Was bleeding brakes after full caliper overhaul, so pedal goes to floor. Noticed that pedal stiffness would increase approx halfway down, then 'clunk' past the resistance before going easily to the floor. Suspected a dodgy master cylinder, which I removed. But have still got same feel to the pedal, so now I suspect the servo, as its the only thing still connected to the pedal (which is a biiiitch to remove!) Should it feel like this when you get full range of movement to the pedal? Brake servos are usually pretty reliable, but I wondered of the actuator rod is bent? I've double checked that the pedal itself isn't catching on anything. Do I need a new servo? Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. thanks!

Grez28

If you remove the master cylinder and move it clear of the servo, then press the pedal to the floor does it return all the way up?

I had one similar that was sticky and would stay down once pressed.

I ended up changing the servo as i had a spare one and this cured it. if you have the standard 8v engine in still they're fairly easy to change by just removing the master cylinder and four nuts inside the car around the brake pedal inside the car then you should be able to wiggle it out.

graham.

Sinbad

Its your servo,mine did the very same last week

ballache of a job,i found it easier removing the pedal box as some nuts on the servo are impossible to remove without doing so.

Edited by Sinbad

mhyphenl

My servo seems to have lost its seal, had a total overhaul of brake system, took the servo apart to paint it! Now I've bled the brakes 3 times now, no air in the system as far as I can tell but when I press the pedal it goes all the way to to about an inch away from the floor and makes a hissing sound as it does, any clues? Also the vacume box for the sun roof doesn't stay charged but all the pipes seem ok?