• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGPIRATE

Smashed Sunroof

PUGPIRATE

Some local thugs dropped a rock from a tall building and hit a bullseye on my 1992 205 Gentry.

The impact shattered the glass panel . I'm having a far more difficult time than I expected sourcing a replacement. Mind you, it is twenty years old!

The sunroof was made by Autoroofs and fits a hole 370mm x 770mm. The glass panel measures 400mm x 800mm.

The manufacturer no longer supplies this model and I can't find anything identical in size on ebay or at the local scappy. The Internet has been surprising unhelpful!

Any suggestions? The weather forecast is heavy rain!

Slo

make a temporary panel from steel or wood for the time being???

• Like 1

dave richards

have you got a picture of it before hand, may help some of us who frequent scrap yards

johnnyboy666

I'd say plate it over, at least then its secure for the time being

sam-barker

is the sliding type, or is it aftermarket like the one on my 309?

PUGPIRATE

is the sliding type, or is it aftermarket like the one on my 309?

It's the 'pop-up' kind. It says Autoroofs on the handle. It's probably aftermarket but I'm pretty sure that another Gentry that I owned previously had the same set-up. Ideally, I'd be able to put a like-for-like glass panel where the old one was rather than have to fit another sunroof.

PUGPIRATE

I'd say plate it over, at least then its secure for the time being

I'm going to need to. There was a puddle underneath my passenger seat this morning!

Slo

you mean you didnt even cover it up last night? christ get a bin bag taped over the hole man it'll rot like a pear hehe

Henry Yorke

It will not be 205 specific so you would do best to ring one of these Find a Part numbers in the Yellow Pages and they will put a call out around various scrapyards to see if anyone has them. I imagine a lot of L plate cars would have had them as after market items, so look on Corsas etc

• Like 1

PUGPIRATE

you mean you didnt even cover it up last night? christ get a bin bag taped over the hole man it'll rot like a pear hehe

Oh, I did. Cardboard and bin-bags was the best I could manage given the notice as I live in a flat. Bought a car cover today.

PUGPIRATE

Still no joy. Hole in roof = 434mm x 831mm (34" BY 18")

Henry Yorke

I was after a piece of glass recently and put a post on www.breakeryard.com and had 3 offers and a phone call within 5 minutes.

Slo

I would make my own from thick perspex - it will be pretty tough, wont shatter from another meteor shower hopefully and wont look stupid, infact nobody would probably notice it wasnt glass if you made a good job. Perspex aint cheap though, is there any new bus shelters gone up recently near you? eh hem lol

laldy875

I had the same problem as the original post, apart from my sunroof was held shut with a bolt and a fastener, the seal was leaking due to a massive gape in the seal. When I undid the bolt it all caved in because it must have been over torqued.

I've managed to sort out a local glass guy to come round make up a perspex permanent replacement for it. Window companies use perspex windows for windows that take some time to order. Going to seal it up with that black wind screen seal stuff. I can't wait to drive in the rain without drips on my head :)

If the car is off the road you should maybe have a look around, but general consensus is that aftermarket ones seem to be hard to get, I spoke to miles and he said the same. Wish I knew about these bloody sunroofs before I bought the car! How do you know its made by autoroofs? Also don't think about re-skinning the roof, thats a big job, cheaper to pick up a new shell!

Edited by laldy875
  • Like 1

Andy_C

Try Howard at Merlin Motorscreens. Surrey based but if he can't help then no-one can.

feb

For what it's worth my 1.0 Trio Plus had a pop-up sunroof, I can't remember the name it could very well be the same as yours.

When it was leaking I went to a scrappy and removed a factory pop-up sunroof from a 106, it fitted perfectly, no more leaks :)

Edited by feb

PUGPIRATE

There are lots of pop-up sunroofs out there. It's just that this one appears to be much larger than the norm which is a surprise. I've been looking for a while. I like the perspex idea. I'll investigate. Thank you.