• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_robinson

Will It Work...205 Pas Rack With Saxo Pump..

c_robinson

Just wondering you're thoughts having never dabbled in 205 power steering...

I'm planning on fitting a 205 PAS rack to my rally car (1600 205), and hard wiring a saxo pump and then getting the pipe work made to fit both ends.

This will be wired via a switch on the dash board to turn on/off as required (ie on for stages only)

Is there a better rack that'll fit the 205 1900 subframe? i've read lots about a xsara vts rack but they seem rare as rocking horse droppings!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Charlie

tri_longer

Worth the effort searching out the Xsara rack if you can, I run the 2.4 version with a saxo pump on a switch with no issues at all, and on tight sprints and hillclimbs it makes a huge difference.

just found one on the bay and about normal price wise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XSARA-VTS-STEERING-RACK-COMPLETE-WITH-RAM-GOOD-UPGRADE-205-306-GTI-6-/130715366066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6f3e32b2#ht_500wt_1287

Edited by tri_longer

c_robinson

Thanks for that Chris...£100 i didn't want to have to spend but maybe worth it!

do you wire yours in via a 40 amp fuse or bigger?

Tom Fenton

The only real difference with regards the rack is the ratio. The Mk1 Xsara VTS being the shortest ratio rack available that is a direct fit at 2.4 turns. The Mk2 Xsara rack is 2.6 turns, the 205 power rack is 3.2 turns, the 205 manual rack a bus-spec 3.9 turns.

I have fitted a 2.4 turn rack and Saxo/106 pump to my car. The pump can be made to fit neatly in the corner of the engine bay above the NS chassis leg, by adapting its original bracket.

One piece of advice I will give you, after going through 2 second hand pumps, is to strip down the pump and clean all the s*ite out of it before you fit it. The pump is in three pieces, plastic reservoir at one side, ally pump section in the centre, motor on the other side. The res and pump are OK but the motor is pressed together and not sealed very well, or really at all. As on a 106/Saxo it lives down the front of the engine it gets covered in oil if there are any leaks, or covered in s*itty road water.

Out of the 2 I stripped, one was full of dusty silt, the other full of what looked like copper grease, which I think was the result of an oil leak and a worn commutator.

Anyway, if you are careful you can strip it down and give it a good clean and blow out with the airline, this should make it last. You can also clock the motor round 180 degrees which means the wiring comes out in a convenient place rather than hard on the bulkhead.

Anthony

The only real difference with regards the rack is the ratio. The Mk1 Xsara VTS being the shortest ratio rack available that is a direct fit at 2.4 turns. The Mk2 Xsara rack is 2.6 turns, the 205 power rack is 3.2 turns, the 205 manual rack a bus-spec 3.9 turns.

The Phase 2 VTS rack also has different fittings for the PAS lines - not a major issue if you're getting pipes made up but worth noting. 205/309, 306 and Phase 1 VTS racks all share the same PAS fittings.

tri_longer

Thanks for that Chris...£100 i didn't want to have to spend but maybe worth it!

do you wire yours in via a 40 amp fuse or bigger?

I'll be honest I didn't wire it in, i know it goes via a relay but that's about as much I can tell you. Probably better someone else with electrical knowledge advises you on that.

marksorrento205

Nice to see you have such helpful things saved, might come in use one day ;)

Yeah when I fit one to my car :lol:

c_robinson

thanks for all the comments...Mk1 Xsara VTS rack now on the shopping list, local hydraulics man happy to do the pipe and fittings for beer tokens, brackets not a problem will probably be near where to oe battery is located (mine will be in the boot) and wiring via relay and 40amp fuse (although will check the above link)

Thanks

Charlie

tri_longer

Why don;t you do a detailed write up including piccies that can then be submitted for inclusion on the main website with the other "how to" articles. Would be useful for others then who want to do a similar conversion.

c_robinson

That's a good idea, especially as the engine is out of the car so it'll all be done against an immaculate white engine bay and with clean freshly painted parts so will be really visible.

It won't be till October as i'm away for 4 months farming but when I do do it i'll photograph everything and make a 'how to' guide

Cheers

Charlie

Cameron

I have a VTS rack and a 106 / Saxo electric PAS pump if you want them.. they're totally surplus to requirements now.

c_robinson

unfortunately Cameron i'm not in a position to buy untill october as i've run out of space already!!

Thanks for the offer though mate

aggyj

This might be a stupid question but regards to the ignition wire on the PAS pump could you run it off of the little wire on the altenator?? so when you fire the engine the pump then comes into life. will this work?

Anthony

Easier way of acheiving that would be to have the PAS pump relay switched from the fuel pump wire.

I don't think that it will work as intended off the alternator exciter wire if you're still running through the dash wiring for the charge warning light, as it will be 12v at ignition on.

damo

anyone know if this is the correct xsara part number for a rack that will fit a 205?

96 262 946 30

seem cheaper second hand than normal 205 PAS racks :)

welshpug

4000 W2 is the VTS part number, the one you quoted is an old format and doesn't come up on SB.

ZX part # is 94 581 089 80