• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CCollier300571

Tyre Choice And Dodgy Handleing

CCollier300571

Afternoon all. Im sure all folk would have experienced this at some point but its just whats the best way to overcome it.

I purchased a 205 GTI 1.9 last year. Although it was in mint condition, because of its age many parts had seen better days. The car suffered with some vague handling issues. The car would feel "detached" at the rear. After going through all the bushes, rear axle refurb, drop links and basically anything which moves underneath the car i finally swapped the tyres round which did the trick.

NOW THE PROBLEM. The motor runs 195 50 15 Bridgestone R300 (BRAN SPANKING NEW) on the rear and some scabby old mix bag of Good Year on the front which are perished but im putting up with handling just so i can blow them off and put new on. Because the handling issues only become apparant when the new tyres on the rear makes me wonder if the new Bridgestones are to hard for decent grip at the rear. Im not talking of track day speeds just changing lanes on the motorway at motorway speeds???????

Do i ( 1 ) Chance it and put another set of Bridgestones on and because itll have all new rubber on itll sort itself out. ( 2 ) Buy some really grippy different make tyres and put the Bridgestones back on the front, although itll be mixed have the same type of rubber on the same axle.

Its all doing me in now but sorting it might get abit expensive if its going to be trial and error.

Tom Fenton

Brand new tyres can often be a bit wayward until you have used them for a few hundred miles. How long have you had the new tyres on for?

CCollier300571

6 months. they were originally put on the front when i bought it. They have probably done a few hundred miles on the front before going on the rear

Anthony

What exactly is the "handling issue" you've got?

Even some Chinese budget specials would be fine for going up and down the motorway without losing grip changing lane.

Whilst it's always preferable to have matched tyres all around, it's hardly critical for motorway work and I would be surprised if the issue would be solved by replacing the fronts with tyres matching the rear

Cameron

Is it just me that's seeing massive text?

lemmingzappa

Nope!

CCollier300571

Best way to describe it is. Imagine the back axle to body bolts were loose and the rear could steer itself. Its exactly like that, but only when pulling back into lane from overtaking. But when the tyres are swapped round alls good. The Bridgestones are ok on the front. Grippy, quiet, turn in, no vibration.

Just wanted it to stand out ;-)

Edited by CCollier300571

chipstick

I agree with above comments about it being more than just tyres. When I initially read through it, I thought for you to of noticed a change from the tyres alone, you must really be pushing the car to notice. Then I read the motorway driving part. Something isn't right. Perhaps bearing orientated?

No?

Edited by chipstick

Baz

Sounds more like there's an issue in the rear beam itself!

CCollier300571

Alls sweet on the bearings. I do have some mechanical background and ive done all the obvious appart from the scabby tyres

Beams done!!!!!

That was the first thought as the wheels were toeing in at the top.

Edited by CCollier300571

Baz

Including the mount bushes?

CCollier300571

Everything been swapped although to the standard spec.

Edited by CCollier300571

Batfink

I'd be checking the beam mounts again - all 6 not just the sandwich mounts..

Are you saying that with the other brand tyre on the rear the handling is all ok?

Edited by Batfink

Anthony

Worth checking that the front hubs pinch bolts are tight and the casting is not ovalled where the ball joint pin goes, as this can cause a very disconcerting lurch on turn in that can unstablise the car - although if it was bad enough to be that noticeable on the motorway changing lanes then it would be near enough undriveable at any speed on a twisty road I suspect.

I can't see why swapping the tyres would have such a dramatic effect if it were an ovalled hub, but it's worth checking nevertheless as it's one that's often overlooked and can cause very dramatic handling woes.

CCollier300571

The main bushes on the rear axle are new the flat bushes are ok but off the old axle. Yes when the scabby tyres are on the back alls sweet with the handleing??????? god knows what thats all about. Its the dilema regarding what i put on next

CCollier300571

Worth checking that the front hubs pinch bolts are tight and the casting is not ovalled where the ball joint pin goes, as this can cause a very disconcerting lurch on turn in that can unstablise the car - although if it was bad enough to be that noticeable on the motorway changing lanes then it would be near enough undriveable at any speed on a twisty road I suspect.

I can't see why swapping the tyres would have such a dramatic effect if it were an ovalled hub, but it's worth checking nevertheless as it's one that's often overlooked and can cause very dramatic handling woes.

Ive not checked any of them as yet but will be doing. taa

Batfink

maybe even check the front subframe bolts and indeed the bolts holding the rear beam are fully torqued up.

CCollier300571

maybe even check the front subframe bolts and indeed the bolts holding the rear beam are fully torqued up.

Cheers. Thanks for the pointer. Already tried that one too.

welshpug

checked tyre pressures?

j_turnell

You had it on a 4 wheel aligner to check front and rear toe?

jackherer

Best way to describe it is. Imagine the back axle to body bolts were loose and the rear could steer itself. Its exactly like that, but only when pulling back into lane from overtaking.

What condition are the rear damper bushes in?

Cameron

No?

Phew! I thought I was having a stroke. Is someone making toast?

Batfink

surely if you swap the wheels to the front and things are ok then it has to be something simple like massively overinflated tyres or your wheel bolts are loose.

Edited by Batfink

CCollier300571

checked tyre pressures?

Checked and adjusted up and down!!!

CCollier300571

What condition are the rear damper bushes in?

Looks ok. It looks like it had uprated shocks alround at some point as they are all Monroe, but it might be an option to fit some "genuine" items back on to see what standard setups like.