• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martyxs

Problems Getting Speakers In Rear Factory Positions

martyxs

Hi all,

I bought a nice pair of Hertx DCX-130 speakers only to really struggle fitting them in the back positions. I had a quick go at removing the plastics but couldn't find out how to do it and it looked like a nasty job with the seat belt etc.

The previous speakers weren't very deep with an exposed magnet and were a bit fiddly to fit in. Can anyone please help on fitting speakers in? I feel bad as I crumpled the cone a bit on one of the new speakers trying to squeeze it in.

My heater matrix went (again!) which fried my old stereo and fitting the new stereo made me notice one of the rear kenwood speakers was dead. :(

benny205mi16

Trying to remember as its been a while, but I think I did remove the top seat belt pivot point, the boot seal on the one side, parcell shelf pivot hinge and stay, then removed the rear quarter plastic trim to gain access. I remember it being more of a job than I first expected, as there is a grill over the speaker itself but I could not get to the screws through this. I just kept going and removing bits it I could get to them.

• Like 1

DaveW

Yeah speakers with larger magnets are a pain to fit, and plus if you do it as above you will more than likely break the crap plastic clip holding it on to the body, it dont matter to much as the window n boot seal holds most of it on.

• Like 1

benny205mi16

I did break some of the little crappy clips, but you can get similar ones from eBay cheap, 10 pack for about £1

• Like 1

Anthony

It's also worth noting that as well as depth issues, the diameter of the hole is slightly too small for some 13cm speakers on the market

• Like 1

martyxs

many thanks all, I did worry it looked like quite a job to get that plastic section off. I did try pulling it a bit and it seemed to unclip but not enough to squeeze the speaker in as it was still being held on where the seat belt went through and the lever release for the back seat. I went into Halfords and they got out a Fli 13cm speaker and that also had a large magnet part at the back. The speakers I have used before had an exposed magnet and weren't as deep as the new ones. Those would only just fit in though, with a bit of fiddling about and the constant frustration of the speaker magnet attaching to the chassis!IMAG0363.jpg

Edited by martyxs

martyxs

There is a bit of difference between the two:

IMAG0367.jpgIMAG0368.jpg

DrSarty

And don't hate me for this, but the sound difference between the 2 sets will be negligable too (even though your mind will convince you otherwise because you've shelled out for new speakers).

Simply swapping speakers rarely makes a difference, as:

{a} unless you change the power source driving them, differences will be marginal

and

{b} the speaker mounting (plus decent source and power) is really the way to improve quality and output, which usually go hand-in-hand

Firm, sound-deadened, thick as possible mountings are what make speakers work best.

Unless you go to some lengths to modify the factory location, e.g. secure a wooden (MDF) baffle to the metal shell and sound deaden the rear cavity, or better still box it in, and then ideally add an amplifier to drive them whilst doing the same in the front, £10 versus £100 speakers will sound no different.

Seriously, as chavvy as it might seem (and not look factory), speakers mounted in the parcel shelf make the quickest, cheapest, biggest and 'best' improvement.

My system has baffled 6.5" component Focals in the front with 90w RMS per side, the same in the rear quarters in boxes (above the seat belt mechanism with a trimmed baffle), and 2 very flat boxes with 10" Sony subs in. The rear boxes are completely removable, and contain the amps. I have no rear seats mind. (P.S. the sub boxes are only about 3" deep so lay flat in the rear, locked into each other and the rear turrets.)

The system also has digital time alignment to equalise the path lengths between the speakers and the driver, making it sound wide and even across the windscreen.

Part of the key to the decent sound stage (decent quality) IS having rear speakers, so rear speakers are worth it; but they typically run at lower power levels compared to the fronts and don't need to produce much bass if you have a sub(s).

So low end or high end system, rear speakers in general deliver very little because they don't need to, hence why I've said cheap speakers in the factory locations will perform fine unless you make serious changes elsewhere. Otherwise, at the budget end and for an easy life with the biggest bang for your buck, 6x9s in the parcel shelf is the best single upgrade for 'better' and louder music in your car.

• Like 2

Anthony

Except that in his case Rich, one of the old speakers is broken... so replacements will likely make a fair improvement!

• Like 1

DrSarty

Totally agree. Thought that after I'd waffled, but it might be useful info for someone.

• Like 1

engine killer

I would like to add a point regarding installing the speakers on the parcel shelf, is you better have the shelf reinforced because it is too weak especially when you have the heavy 6x9 there. My previous shelf had a pair of AltecLansing 6x9 there, the difference with and without the fibreglass layer is huge.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

My system has baffled 6.5" component Focals in the front with 90w RMS per side,

DrSarty's (originally very expensive) Focals came from the front of my current 205. They were in it when I bought it. I removed them becuase it was the biggest pile of steaming dog turd of an installation you could possibly comprehend. They'd have been better off if they'd used bathroom sealant to hold the speakers in with no screws, it was that bad.

The reason I mention this is that, following on from Sarty's points, I just want to emphasise that having expensive speakers means nothing if they are badly fitted (the Focals unsurprisingly sounded poor in my 205). It's not really relevant to what the OP was asking, but I figured it was something worth adding to the debate.

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

martyxs

Many thanks all, useful info Dr Sarty :) As Anthony has mentioned, hopefully any speaker will be an improvement on my current situation as long as I can get the speakers fitted in some arrangement. Not sure what happened to the Kenwood speaker I had before, must have been something to do with the coil or something inside, there's no obvious physical damage and I checked the connections were fine. I don't really like how the wiring has been done, it looks like just bare ends of the wires have been wrapped in some electrical tape on both sides to just extend the length a little bit. What I don't get is there seems to be two wires joined into one for each part? Is one of the wires an earth? (i.e. two wires connected into one for the positive connection and again for the negative connection).

I think I'd need more reinforcement for my parcel shelf in the sense I've lost that stupid plastic support bit on one side (the one with the spring in) that the shelf rests on when down. Will have a look out for one of those...

I'm a bit undecided as to whether to just get another pair of speakers for the factory positions (that will fit) or attempt some kind of setup with an amp or speakers in the parcel shelf which might be a fair bit of work (and money). The stereo I bought isn't too bad, it's a Sony with 4X52W output so seems to sound better than the 4X40w Sony I had before already.

I do agree though about the comparison of the new speakers to the old ones, I can't really tell any difference to be honest. I imagine, like you say, the difference will be in how they are mounted, amplified etc.

As a quick fix maybe for now, does anyone know of any current speakers that would squeeze into those positions with minimal effort? The Kenwood ones aren't available anymore, I considered some Alpine SXE-1325S ones as they're 13cm custom fit?

I think I might wait till my finances improve a little more to get some kind of nice setup in there :)

DaveW

Some old skool sony ones used to fit in a treat and you would only have to remove the grille like you have done, i found having the 4 speakers and a small sub sounded great, however the 205 is far too flimsy and you will get so many rattles from a sub.