• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Type Of Steering Rack

johnhenry

Afternoon all

Was wondering if there was any way of telling which steering rack was on the car without removing it, looking at replacing the whole thing and matching it to the column.

Its a 1989 1.9 8v

Non assisted Steering

any pointers how and where i should look? Cheers

John

Anthony

There's two types on non-PAS rack - spline and square drive.

If you look at the bottom of the lower column/UJ where it joins the rack, it will be quite a rounded shape on the spline racks, whereas it will be more notably square on the square drive racks.

I think that yours will have come with a spline drive as standard at that age, but you really need to check regardless as so many cars have had racks replaced over the years. You can go from one type to the other, but you'll need to replace the lower column/UJ section as well (the upper column is the same)

Also, double check that it isn't a PAS rack with the hydraulics removed, as these are a different fitment again - the holes where the PAS pipes screwed in is a giveaway, as is a stud on the rear nearside of the rack.

• Like 1

johnhenry

everything i needed to know in 1 response! Cheers!

Off to go see the car and find out now :D

johnhenry

been down to the lockup. had a look, from the information above; Not PAS and i think spline.

got a photo for conformation - it didnt feel or look square just wanting to confirm

cheers john

IMG_9487.jpg

Tom Fenton

Yes that is spline drive non power.

Tom Fenton

No. That is a square drive ("pinion with flats"). Also note the date range 89-92 which also ties in with square drive.

johnhenry

rookie moment there sorry

any thoughts on a decent reconditioned spline drive rack (including track rods)?

gsf and other motorfactors dont seem to differentiate between the spline and square fitment - leaving me confused :S

spoox do one, but its £95, and that seems alot especially with no surcharge.

sorry its been a good year since my parts hunting days of last summer, lost my touch : /

thanks again.

john

Miles

The cheap rack's are cheap for a reason, I tend to recon them myself now as I know all new parts are used which in turn does increase the cost, the other one listed will just be from one of the normal recon's with a mark up on top

Shame Pug don;t do them anymore as the difference between the 2 was huge

johnhenry

Yeh - been there done that with cheap stuff, not worth it at all.

want to try and keep it as reasonably 'value for money' as possible; but would rather not spend it on rubbish!

what do you reckon my best option is then?

cheers john