• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Timmartin0

Fitting A Door Catch

Timmartin0

Hi guys!

Does anyone have detailed instructions of how to replace a door catch on my 1988 1.9 Gti. I have the new one, taken interior door panel off and then seen how little room there is, and was wondering how the hell you connect everything up - and do I have to remove anything else to improve access(ie window runners). Cheers in advance guys!

Weser

Not going to lie it is fiddly. I think the last time I did one I unbolted the bottom of the runner which allowed it to move out the way enough.

sharpm

did mine last week and once the door panel was off I just had to remove the speaker and there is plenty of room to get your hand in with a small rachet or a spanner.

didnt remove any window runners or anything else like that.

gavbrum

Is it the door arrester? The spring hinge that holds the door open?

If it is then as above. Just take the door speaker off which allows you to remove the bolts for the arrester. Then pop the hinge pin out and repeat process in reverse to attach new ones. Pin is a bit fiddly.

Tom Fenton

It is a bit awkward, but you have the good advantage of having a new one in your hand so you can see where things connect without having to stand on your head inside the door to see what is going on. Most of the clips that hold the rods unclip by pivoting round before you then slide the rod off.