• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Any 406 Gurus?

Rob Turbo

I've recently bought myself a 2003 406 hdi saloon, it has a couple of problems, the brake related problems are sometimes the brake pedal will go hard and I have to stand on the brake pedal to get it to stop, as if there was no servo assistance, it's very rare that this happens, first thing I tried was swapping the vacuum pump for a known good one, still the same.

The other problem is the rest of the time, when the pedal isn't rock hard, the brakes work fine but if you press the pedal it slowly sinks down, I don't know if it will go as far as the floor, but it feels like it will, the fluid level isn't dropping and there's no visible leaks, so it's looking like the master cylinder is at fault.

Could the master cylinder cause the first problem as well? I have a master cylinder and servo from a 406 v6 coupe that came with the v6 engine package I bought, I'll fit the master cylinder which I know will fit, but does anyone know if the servo will fit as well? It looks different but seems to have the same mounting points and fittings, I just don't want to mess around getting it off the car to find the coupe one doesn't fit!

Ans on the subject of coupe to saloon, are the handbrake levers the same? The ratchet mechanism is broke on the one I've just bought and there's a coupe one on ebay that looks the same!

Thanks,

Rob

Terry1600

my 205 had this problem, it was the servo leaking air when the pedal was in a certain position as i has broke some kind of plastic collar behind the rubber thats behind the pedal itself attatched to the servo