• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ozy

The Plot Thickens

ozy

Hi, guys thank you for the replies re. the disc problem. After a lot of extra hard work I finally have the hub housing off, only to find that the circlip is welded in with rust.it is really bad.

I think I am going to need a new hub carrier, are these easy to get? I think ebay may be my best bet Once again any help is more than appreciated.

Thank you.

ozy

johnnyboy666

what is it that you are trying to remove? the circlip is for the wheel bearing is it not? the whole hub assembley comes off as one, with the bearing and flange attached

Toddy

You can use a thin drift punch by leveraging on the bearing housing to get the ear of the circlip moving away from the bearing housing seat, be careful not to deform the ear so that the circlips cant be used.

You need good quality circlip pliers and penetrating fluid, Once you have got the circlip ear away from the bearing housing you can get a screwdriver behind the circlip to provide some more leverage and allow you to squirt some more penetrating fluid into the circlip groove. Once you are able to compress the circlip fully then use the screwdriver to lever the circlip around the rusty seat/groove all the way around the housing, you should then be able to remove the circlip as if the components are free from rust etc. hope that makes sense.

10-20 mins should have it sorted.

Edited by Toddy

ozy

Yes I am trying to renew the wheel bearing, it is shot will keep applying wd. It just looks so rusted up you can not make out the circlip.

Thank you for your help.

ozy

Would it help by forcing the old bearing out? I guess no harm will be done, or will it.

Tom Fenton

Sometimes I have had to grind the circlip to get it out. They can be tricky.

mikeyd

use proper penetrating oil as wd 40 is more lube/water displacing oil