• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joed66

Brake Upgrade

joed66

i have a 205 xs it comes with solid 247mm discs as you all know. my friend has a 306 hdi with 266mm vented. he is getting a gti6 283mm upgrade

do these calipers bolt straight onto my hubs or do i need to change the hubs aswell. also will i need to put a 306 master cylinder on so that the pedal doesnt travel half way before preasure comes in.

only staying at this size so they fit under my 14inch alloys or i would have a gti6 or even better 406 coupe brembo 4pot 305mm but i dont want to run wheels that big.

cheers. joe

p.s do the brembo 4pot 305mm fit under 1.9 speedlines?

i will run up to 15inch if they fit but only for these calipers.

Josh_Quant

yup they bolt straight on to the 1.4 hubs and standard master cylinder works good with them.

I m not to sure about yours wheels your have to check what size the 306 hdi wheels are standard. (I think they will fit but not 100% sure)

but if not just try one of your wheels on your mates 306?

im sure someone eles on here will know if they fit though.

Edited by Josh_Quant

chipstick

283mm GTi6 brakes are tight on 15" 1.9 Speedlines, so you've no hope with 406 Brembo's.

welshpug

266mm discs and calipers fit under most 14" wheels.

you can't use the 305mm 406 discs on a 205/309/zx/xsara/306 hub with the 406 Brembo caliper as the 405/406 hub has a larger Caliper lug radius as well as a lower offset, meaning a smaller 288mm disc from a xantia or a c5 should be used.

these will not fit under o.e wheels without at least a 20mm spacer, they will however clear a 15x6.5 Team dynamics pro race 1.2 or a 15x7 speedline 1508 magnesium wheel as found on the BTCC 306's, possibly some others but I don't recall seeing them.

personally on an XS I would just fit 1.9 discs and good condition 1.6 gti calipers, or if your calipers are good fit the 1.6 gti pad carrier, this will give a nice upgrade to cope with the extra heat from enthusiastic driving of a 1.4, without adding excessive weight.

oh and this has been covered soooo many times, a quick search and a few cups of tea would have told you everything you wanted to know and more :D

for example http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Edited by welshpug

joed66

Thanks I had a 306 xltd with the 1600 pepperpots on. I can get the brakes very cheap and I drive country roads a lot and get brake fade quite a bit so want vented so there cooler under braking.

Haha cheers I seen the post couldn't find any info when looking kept talking about master cylinders so just wanted a fast reply

Cheers lads I know they go straight on now.

pug_ham

With the standard XS master cylindr (19mm) fitting the 306 hdi calipers means a 6mm larger piston & a 3mm smaller m/c on the 205 so you might want to at least consider fitting the m/c from a GTI (20.9mm).

As said though, you best bet would be to fit good quality 1.9 GTI discs & either 1.6 GTI Bendix calipers or pad carriers as Mei suggests with decent pads.

g

joed66

i am gettin the full conversion m/c,calipers,discs,pads off my mate. gonna put drilled and grooverd discs on though.

why put 1.6 calipers on 1.9 discs? are the 1.6 better or different to the 1.9 calipers?

James504

I would say due to the 1.6 callipers being lighter. I had the same 247mm solids on my 205, I used to be able to lock the front wheels, untill i changed to RE001's. They are very light, but suffer fade easily. I then upgraded to 206 266mm rotors and callipers+ 23.8 berlingo MC, at a hefty weight penalty mind you (not really but way more than standard brakes.) They work amazing, apart for bling factor I wouldn't need to go to anything bigger.

pug_ham
why put 1.6 calipers on 1.9 discs? are the 1.6 better or different to the 1.9 calipers?

This was the standard front brake set up from the factory on the d turbo's & STDT's.

1.9 calipers are generally better but if you have good condition working Bendix calipers on your car now, they should be more than sufficient to lock fronts up with decent quality discs & pads & it saves having to bleed the brakes.

Why are you fitting drilled & grooved discs? They don't offer any peformance benefit & discs can crack aorund the holes if they get hot enough.

g

joed66

i have a thing for brakes so want vented and they drilled and groved are to look the part. i want the bigger discs for less fade because my fade 5 times of of 10 not bothered about weight im not building a track car just yet. :P

GeorgeXS

I rebuilt the calipers on it a couple of years ago were in good nick then, as said i would fit the wider pad carriers off 1.6 gti calipers and some 1.9 discs, i planning on doing this before i sold the car.

joed66

I rebuilt the calipers on it a couple of years ago were in good nick then, as said i would fit the wider pad carriers off 1.6 gti calipers and some 1.9 discs, i planning on doing this before i sold the car.

what car you on about ? you ax?

joed66

haha i have just read the other post wow its a small world im going to upgrade to vented like