• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Hillclimb/sprint Tyres

205Rallee

I've been using Kumho V70a in 175 60 13 size, medium compound on front and soft compound on the rear (7" x 13" wheels all round) of my 205 Rallye. Thekhumo's are very grippy but being fairly heavily treaded, they do seem to suffer from the tread creeping across the surface with loads of rubber debris on the surface after longer sprints.

I looked at Dunlop Cr311 but the smaller sizes aren't in List 1B as they aren't e-marked. So the options are get the same Kumhos or:

Yoko A048R in 175 60 x 13

Dunlop DZo3G 175 60 x 13 (no choice of compounds)

Avon ZZR in 185 55 x 13 in A60 compound (A24 would be too soft?)

I'm leaning towards trying the Avon ZZR's. Has anybody used these/had any experience of them?

tri_longer

No, but by all accounts they are superb and barely more than a cut slick. Plenty of people moving over to them, especially the Caterfield types, but 205's are a bit heavier.

Some of the issues with those on full radial slicks come from not being run with any camber, I would imagine the same would apply here, but if you are running road going you may not be able to get away with this as you can't have adjustable top mounts, and technically you shouldn't be running 309 wishbones either, but then again who is going to check.

Tyre temperature is the main issue with the tread shifting, the tread pattern allows for movement which heats the tyre up quicker. Pressures can help you control some of this and you need to have a play with this to find the best compromise with grip and wear, but ultimatley you are always going to see a degree of this.

Best thing I can recommend is go full mod prod and put silly sticky Avons on, they are expensive but by God they grip like you would not believe.

205Rallee

I'm on 1.6 wishbones and somehow ;) have managed to get about 1 degree of negative on the front. I've heard people mention the isue with radials and camber, the other alternative is crossply ACB10 sports but I just can't bring myself to spend £600+ on four tyres.

My other issue is that I drive to all the events, have all steel panels and full interior trim and don't want to strip it down to try and keep up with the "plastic" minis in mod prod. I have more fun chasing the big cars in road going.

tri_longer

Aaah yes, the turbo mini brigade are a difficult bunch to beat at the best of times. At a recent meeting one of guys in the HSA was 4 seconds clear. It was wet, but has developed his own traction control system as well.

The camber on the 205's seems a bit random at tomes, i've had a problem before with the same 309 wishbones on concentric top mounts and a straight shell, giving neg camber on one side and not the other :blink:

Given the costs of the Avon crossplys I would give serious consideration to the ZZR's, the only thing I would say, and proably relevant to the V70s is if it starts raining on the way there or home pull over and wait it out if you can. Grip in the wet is not their strong point.

205Rallee

Aaah yes, the turbo mini brigade are a difficult bunch to beat at the best of times. At a recent meeting one of guys in the HSA was 4 seconds clear. It was wet, but has developed his own traction control system as well.

The camber on the 205's seems a bit random at tomes, i've had a problem before with the same 309 wishbones on concentric top mounts and a straight shell, giving neg camber on one side and not the other :blink:

Given the costs of the Avon crossplys I would give serious consideration to the ZZR's, the only thing I would say, and proably relevant to the V70s is if it starts raining on the way there or home pull over and wait it out if you can. Grip in the wet is not their strong point.

Yes the V70's had me in the tyre barrier in the wet at our last event of the season in 2011 :(

Spoken to BTMR this afternoon and it's about £430 for the harder compound ZZR's or £550 for the A24 soft compound. Not convinced they will last very long on the front of a 205. Decisions decisions!