• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Spring Rates For Coil Overs With Gti6 Fitted?

HERMAN

With my current road handling problems I think might be treating it to a set of Gaz coil overs to match the rears.

I am looking for some ideas on what spring rates to get for the coil overs.

The car has a gti6 engine and standard torsion bars? It gets used on the road a bit but I can live with a harsh ride if it will be better on the track?

Cheers

Neil

Edited by HERMAN

dcc

Erm hard to answer your question really, but I moved from a set of 300ftlb springs to 180ftlb as I was going to use them for road, with a XU10/ew fitted.

depending on whats on the rear, and guessing form the cars purpose, I would suggest 225ftlb.

new springs are cheap enough.

Tom Fenton

Coilovers give you a wide choice of spring rates, but your main limitation are the rear bars. I would go no stiffer than 200lb, nearer 175 will be better if you can get suitably long springs to retain some travel.

HERMAN

Cheers for the relpys guys

chipstick

Which are you going for?

HERMAN

200lb

chipstick

What length are you looking at? I read that spring length is an important choice, especially with the '6 engine, but haven't noticed a recommended length. Curious what you had discovered.

Tom Fenton

I would try 9" as a starter for 10. The beauty of coilovers is that the springs are cheap enough to allow you to play about to see what suits you and the car.

chipstick

I'm actually quite tempted to get 225s and run them with a standard rear temporarily and then find out for myself how much understeer is induced and then upgrade the rear to meet it.

If I do go for 200 and it's acceptable with standard bars, I won't want/need to invest in getting the back to match if I can live with it as is. I'd probably have my VTS ARB adapted, and seek some budget TB's to match the 225s.

I'l be interested to here how you get on Herman and what direction if any you feel would be the way to go if starting again.

Then I weigh up adjustable top mounts. I initially feel for the little extra they cost it makes sense to have the shocks modified to suit upon purchase. I run a degree of negative on my Clio Cup and it's actually quite kind on tyres. I do wonder what percentage of people who go down the coilover route, stick with standard top mounts.

Cameron

1.5Deg of negative front camber is fine for road use, but more is needed for a dedicated track car in my opinion. I ran 3Deg on mine and it made a noticeable difference to cornering grip.

If I were to build another dedicated track car I'd put 400lb springs up front, 3Deg -ve front and rear, 23mm or 25mm rear ARB and 24mm TB's. 200lb front springs is pretty conservative, but probably the most you'll be able to run without touching the rear rates.

Edit: I'd also run it as low as I could without relying too heavily on the bump stops.. but sort the steering geometry. :lol:

Edited by Cameron

chipstick

I find myself using the car less and less on the road. While it was first on the road I may of used it for work a few times, I now only ever use it for the odd blast down the coast or the day I did at Combe. If I fit bodies to it over the next couple of months with coilovers it will be even 'relied' on less as a road car. I have a couple of other daily drivers so I don't need to use it for the shops.

I'm not competitive enough to make it a dedicated track car. I like to retain some creature comforts and allow it to be returned to an 8v if required more easily. I can always progress with a cage etc over time.

I'm lucky to be local to a top motorsport college who will do the geometry and corner weight it for a great price. They race 205s so will seek thier advice too.

welshpug

I'm actually quite tempted to get 225s and run them with a standard rear temporarily and then find out for myself how much understeer is induced and then upgrade the rear to meet it.

Don't do it, it'll be bloody horrible! :lol: I have driven a 205 setup like this and I could hustle my own 205 on standard suspension quicker around the same circuit!

I find my car very well balanced now on 180 lb 9" springs and 21mm bars, it worked well with lowering springs and 21mm bars as well.