• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ_T

Front Brakes Nearly Failed Mot, Upgrade Time

johnnyboy666

wouldnt bother with discs on the rear, they dont tend to be worth it.

welshpug

just strip and clean the rear drums, cheapest and most effective way to sort your rear brakes.

Tesstuff

Rear drums on a 205 are best, lovely handbrake too, changing to discs is not an upgrade.

Russ_T

Damn you all, that's not the answer I wanted.

I'll have the drums off tomorrow and price up the parts or stick them in the blast cabinet and wait on a rear beam for the torsion bars and arbs.

Thanks

welshpug

are you after a gti beam?

Russ_T

Well I want to lower mine a bit, and therefore could do with stiffening it up. If I'm going that far I'll have the beam off anyway no doubt, and my pet hate are drums (due to my first car, a 306 1.8XT having crap ones that caused me no end of grief) so thought whilst I'm at it do everything ...

Chipstick lives about 300yrds from me and might have one for sale in a couple of months, I partly blame my sticking drum for my 38mpg though so sooner I fix it the better.

Also when I get it I can put my GTi springs on and sort the stance a little :D

Russ_T

Off topic, but not worth a new thread. On my MOT I have "slight movement in the upper attachment" for the front shocks, so my upper mount are on their way out. Without taking it all apart to inspect, as I'm having a blonde moment, can anyone tell me which (if any) of these I'll be wanting?

Thank you

post-20726-0-15507900-1339273405_thumb.jpg

Simes

Strut mount bearing is the bit you want.

You can buy a complete kit which includes rubber, bearing and the rest of the upper assembly.